Power Washing Tractor

/ Power Washing Tractor #11  
Thunder Gun?

I haven't tried it yet (need to buy it first!), but search for "Thunder Gun" at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com>http://www.northerntool.com</A>. For $30, your air compressor, and a garden hose, you can have a low ("beats a 500 PSI pressure washer") but higher-than-hose pressure spray.

/ Power Washing Tractor #12  
Re: Thunder Gun?

So, if one does wash their machine, is it also advisable to start it up afterward so that the engine can warm up and attempt to evaporate any water out of any nook & cranny?

Timily post..planning on giving Brutus first bath of my ownership.

/ Power Washing Tractor #13  

My washer has a tip that turns the pressure from 3000 to like 150psi,So you can use the lower setting around seals,gaskets etc. Then turn her up and blast the crap off the frame/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Power Washing Tractor #14  
Terry,

I bought a cheap $195.00 pressure washer 4 or 5 years ago. It is 1500 psi 4hp Briggs. I can't imagine why anyone would need any more pressure than this thing has. It is much more than anyone might believe. I have used it alot with no problems. Not commercial use, I would not use it for that. Great for home use. When it quits, if it is not something simple I will throw it away and get another one. I would recomend the cheapo and invest the difference or buy something else.

<font color=blue>Don't depend on brute force for cleaning, get a washer with a detergent injector and let a quality detergent do the cleaning. If you have grease/oil spots, use a degreaser first.

<font color=black>This is good advice. No amount of pressure will take the place of old fashion elbow grease.

/ Power Washing Tractor #15  
Come on Roy, dont tell me your gun case is full of .22s, we all want more power!!!

Well, I'm more into 9mm's...

I've seen some folks do some serious damage with high pressure washers...inadvertent damage.
Maybe I'm being too conservative...
Since we have a well, I doubt if I use one at all....

But even with a plentiful supply of water...reckon I'd use it on the sidewalks or drive (if mine were paved, that is) at most.

I've seen folks strip paint off houses (purposely), which gives one an indication of the power.

I just think it's not a good idea to use one on a piece of equipment that could easily be damaged with a few seconds inattention.

Personal opinion, friends!

BTW, you know more folks are killed with smaller calibers (.22) then the larger calibers?

So, if one does wash their machine, is it also advisable to start it up afterward so that the engine can warm up and attempt to evaporate any water out of any nook & cranny?

I always started the engines after GUNKing and washing it. I think that would be a good idea...

/ Power Washing Tractor #16  
I'm with Roy---you don't want to use those things for vehicle washing (full psi, tight spray), unless you happen to be trying to clean off major gunk from underneath the mower. You'd be much better off with a garden hose and a bucket of soapy water.

Really, powerwashers are ideal for blasting concrete clean. Other than that, you can do a lot of damage (and don't use them to strip paint off of a house---you'll damage the wood fibers underneath). I love lots of power, but these washer's aren't a lot more gentle than a sandblaster.

/ Power Washing Tractor #17  
CSAW gave some good advice. I have and use a 2400psi pressure washer on Clementine, the ATV, the car, etc and use it primarily for that final rinse. A bucket of warm, soapy water gets most of the gunk off...or at least softens it up. The pressure washer rinses it all away, and gets focused on the stubborn spots like mud on the wheels. I regulate the pressure simply by increasing the distance between nozzle and tractor. BTW, there is nothing better for removing those unwanted lawyer or dealer decals! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Personally, I stay away from all grease fittings and the entire engine compartment...and I always finish the job with regreasing all around.

Pete

/ Power Washing Tractor #18  

Kent, I have a different brand, but same type of gun as the Thunder Gun. Not as powerful as the pressure washers, but does a good job.

/ Power Washing Tractor #19  

And here I always thought a Thunder Gun was something that sat on a Thunder pole!

Egon

/ Power Washing Tractor #20  

Kent, I have a Thundergun. And yes, I did buy it from Northern. It actually works very well but it requires an air compressor with alot of cfm's. My two hp air compressor could power it for about two minutes before the tank ran down so low that it was barely effective. I think a newer five hp compressor would handle it pretty well.

Ok, darn it Kent!! Now I have to buy a new air compressor!

Jerry