Power Washing Tractor

/ Power Washing Tractor #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
I plan on getting out my power washer this weekend. Its a 3000psi unit so its pretty powerful. What parts of the tractor do I have to be careful about spraying or staying away from?

Spence

/ Power Washing Tractor #2  
I would just say stay away from the dash and dont spray radiator fins at an angle instead go straight thru, might let it cool down a little if you have been running around hard.

/ Power Washing Tractor #3  
avoid any hydraulic couplers and any place where you add liquids [fuel, oil, tranny].

if you don't want water in it, keep the high pressure washer away from it.

/ Power Washing Tractor #4  
About power washing your tractor, be sure to only wash the engine when its cold. Every diesel I've had has warned me about spraying water on a warm injector pump. Not exactly sure what it does, but it must not be good. Also watch spraying directly at seals as the high pressure will work their way between the shafts and seals. A power washer sure is a handy tool for clean up tasks.

/ Power Washing Tractor #5  
Okay... all of this is great information. But I have the same basic question and the answers have kinda answered the question.

However, if you have a more powerfull pressure washing can't you choke down on the pressure coming out of the nozzle? What is the sense of pressure washing the tractor if you can't spray the whole thing?

I don't have a pressure washer and will be getting one in the near future. What features should I look for? What size? It will be used all typical uses such as cleaning vinyl siding, the deck, concrete parking pad, the tractor, the implements, etc.

Terry

/ Power Washing Tractor #6  
Spence -

I was told to stay away from the air intake. Took me two trips to the property and and not two TBN threads to find the darn thing, too. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Power Washing Tractor #7  
Terry, I have a Northstar pressure washer. It has a 9hp Honda premium engine and it puts out 3gpm at 3000 psi. I bought it from Northern Equipment. I've had it for about a year it has performed flawlessly. It was a bargain at $799 even after adding $90 to ship it. You pay a premium for the Honda engine but it's worth every penny.
Jerry

/ Power Washing Tractor #8  
I have a commercial unit thats 3000psi @ 4gpm. If you can, get one with replacable tips or an ajdustable tip. Use a 15 or even 20 degree tip @ 3000 psi. It'll get it clean without stripping the paint off. I have a 0 degree tip that will just about cut through a telephone pole. I use a 10 degree to clean our deck but have to keep the tip about 6" off the wood to prevent damage. Don't depend on brute force for cleaning, get a washer with a detergent injector and let a quality detergent do the cleaning. If you have grease/oil spots, use a degreaser first. Stay away from intakes and electrical and watch you don't blow your fuel cap off.

/ Power Washing Tractor #9  
I plan on getting out my power washer this weekend. Its a 3000psi unit so its pretty powerful. What parts of the tractor do I have to be careful about spraying or staying away from?

I wouldn't use a power washer on your tractor at all.

3000psi...well, you won't see that much come out of your nozzle, but even a lower pressure could lift your paint if you dwell on one area too long. Or, as the other posts suggest...other damage.

The pressure coming out of your garden hose should be quite adequate to clean your tractor. Perhaps hit some areas with low pressure (>150psi) air to remove debris.

/ Power Washing Tractor #10  
Come on Roy, dont tell me your gun case is full of .22s, we all want more power!!! Maybe your used to washing off sand but my clay will leave a stain on anything after the clod gets washed away and then it will take a manual effort with a sponge to remove it/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

After washing and degreasing is also a good time to repack grease zerks and screw threads.

HalseyGreen, has your tractor been talking to you again?