Running an idle tractor?

/ Running an idle tractor? #1  

Barneyhunts

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 Kubota B7800, Kubota BX2200
Is it a good idea to run an idle tractor and maybe move it around, as opposed to letting it sit in the off season? Might apply to any machinery.
Thanks

/ Running an idle tractor? #3  
I believe he means a tractor not in use for a long periods of time.

I would believe it would be beneficial to start em up and run em around every once in a while. Battery gets a charge fluids get redistributed.

/ Running an idle tractor? #4  
I think anything works better when it runs on a regular basis. Cars, tractors, motorcycles, chainsaws, etc......

/ Running an idle tractor? #5  
Don't they say that you should have the clutch pushed (locked) in if it is going to setting for a bit. So that the clutch plates keep from sticking together?
Running at an idle probably means to let it warm up a little to recharge the battery from starting up the tractor. If you start it up and just let it run for a few minutes the moisture hasn't evaporated from the exhaust and cylinders. That's all common knowledge though.
Jim

/ Running an idle tractor? #6  
If you aren't going to use it then you should "winterize" it. At least get the fuel out of the system, especially if it is a gas engine. Fuel stabilizer is good if you might want to use the machine but a complete draining is better if it will be sitting for 6 months. Most oil products will oxodize and gum up if exposed to air. Many of the new gasolines are corrosive to metal. Condensation is a constant battle around here unless stored in a well closed (preferably heated) building.
I'd rather use my toys 12months of the year if I could.....

/ Running an idle tractor? #7  
I'd rather use my toys 12months of the year if I could.....[/QUOTE]

Above is one of my personal goals. Although some of my toys are "summer" toys, the tractor is not one of those.
I feel that if you have an idle tractor then you don't have nearly enough attachments for it.

/ Running an idle tractor? #8  
Barneyhunts said:
Is it a good idea to run an idle tractor and maybe move it around, as opposed to letting it sit in the off season? Might apply to any machinery.
Thanks

This is contrary to many, but I am 100% absolutely against that. It is a sure fire way to take decades off the life of the machine.

If you are not going to run it long and hard so that the entire machine gets up to operating temperature for 45-60 min (minimum), don't bother turning the key.

If you start the machine, idle it or even just run it around the yard, it will collect moisture in the fluids fast and at a higher level than you might imagine and they turn acidic. Mufflers wear out, oil gets diluted with both fuel and water, you can even glaze the cylinders in extreme cases. Yuck, it's a mess. Just dog down the clutch peddle and every other month put a 2 amp charge on the battery for 5-6 hours. (Gas engines can use fogging oil - diesels no. They will burn the oil as fuel...)

Some folks use em all winter and that's great. Using them drives off the moisture, fuel and combustion byproducts that are generated by light use, starting when cold etc. Using them also means maintaining them. I've seen the guts of many an engine that was started and idled for 15 min every weekend over the winter and they are much worse than ones that are allowed to sit.

Winter equipment is like a hibernating bear. Don't wake it unless you are prepared to deal with it!

jb with the contrarian view....

/ Running an idle tractor? #9  
I agree with John Bud.
Even though I use my tractor all year I have a 33 year old motorcycle that still has its original mufflers, usually the first thing to go. When I first got it a fellow who's opinion I value told me that the last ride before putting it away for winter should be long enough and fast enough to warm everything up fully, use the brakes aggressively to warm/dry them then then put it away, remove the battery and don't mess with it until spring. I do about the same with my car which I also store for the winter. Twelve years old now and still all original except battery and fluids.

/ Running an idle tractor? #10  
I also agree with JB. Having dealt with old cars for decades more than I've been a tractor owner, I've ALWAYS changed oil/filter, parked the cars for the winter, disconnected the battery cables, & left them that way unless I could take it out for at least a 45 minute drive. Now with my piece of junk tractor, I just park it in the fall & leave it to sleep until needed the next season.