Various BoxBlade Uses

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #31  
Well, yes, I kinda figured as much. :D

But I was kind of hoping to figure out what was worth paying a lot for, and what I'd like but wouldn't care that much about. For example, is the ability to retract scarifiers a big deal?

How about rear gate (forget the technical term for when the back isn't fixed.)

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #32  
Well some people swear by their box blades and some people swear at them. :) I know that about any commercial user will be using an industrial quality box with hydraulic scarifiers and Top and Tilt. I'm guessing, but maybe a top of the line model would have where the rear blade could both be fixed and floating. I can not make a fair comment on the std type box blades because I have never used one. Myself, I sorta kinda like the roll-over box blade, that is what I grew up with and that is what I have now. They are heavy duty, and work well in all types of grading. ( Ripping, grading forward and reverse, and smoothing) A roll-over box will cost almost as much as a heavy duty box with hydraulic rippers, but less than an industrial quality box.
I would think that it would be better to have the rippers move up and away as with a hydraulic unit rather than to have the rippers that just move straight up and down, but again I don't actually have any experience with a std type box blade. Here are a few pics of my Gannon roll-over blade.
Oh, and my Top and Tilt. :D

Attachments

• P4140004.JPG
    P4140004.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 926
  • P4140002.JPG
    P4140002.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 797
  • P4140005.JPG
    P4140005.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 631
  • P4140007.JPG
    P4140007.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 716
  • PB040030.JPG
    PB040030.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 712
   / Various BoxBlade Uses
Charlesaf3 said:
Well, yes, I kinda figured as much. :D

But I was kind of hoping to figure out what was worth paying a lot for, and what I'd like but wouldn't care that much about. For example, is the ability to retract scarifiers a big deal?

How about rear gate (forget the technical term for when the back isn't fixed.)
I have plenty of experience with a standard type box blade because that's all I have. That's also why I made the modifications to it, to make it more versatile and heavier. It now performs as well as any boxblade or grader. You can ask Eddie or Brian, since they've both seen (in person) what I've done with just my tractor and modified implements. It can be done. You just need to become proficient with the boxblade ... and creative. If you haven't read how I modified my boxblade, read this thread: Gear Driven Hyd Boxblade.

If I were you, I'd get a very good quality, heavy boxblade that will cut with the scarifiers and also the blade. Weight is a key. If the the scarifiers are hydraulic, it's much less work than changing or setting them manually. But being able to cut with only the blade is also a good deal. There are many times I don't want to rip an area, rather just shave off smooth spots. I use only the blade for those times and weight is what makes that work well.

I saw that you read several of my threads about boxblade use, where I cut new roads and trails. In making new trails or roads, work with the land as best you can. Avoid rocky or large trees and work around them. Pick an interesting route, but one you can manage to groom the way you want. Make your choice of where to put the trail so you can work it with your boxblade or other implements you have. I tried to use the implements that I have, or make those I have better. I did the same with my tractor. If you are pretty handy with making modifications, you might consider buying medium duty pieces and doing the modifications yourself. Add weight by beefing up and adding sturdiness and some neat features too.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #34  
I will throw in some excitement from a noob, as I finally picked up a box blade albeit a cheapie (Farm and Fleet has the 6' KK on sale for 400.00), hooked it up to the three point, shortened the top link, extended the teeth as far as they would go and proceeded to work up the garden :D easiest work I've ever done.

On a side note I didn't pre-qualify the purchase with SWMBO, boy did she give me a dirty look as I backed that loaded trailer up to the barn. I told her if she didn't like me spending my money then she should go out and get a job so I could spend hers (well, not out loud....)

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #35  
I have an old hytico with hydraulic teeth, tilt, curl and up/down. It works as well forward as backwards. Great for finish work, but a little light for hard pack.

jmf

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #36  
Anyone else knock off/break the end blades on the scarifiers?

I was using it, scarifiers all the way down, to loosen up ground to be used as a 3 acre pasture, and I did hit a few rocks (OK, quite a few rocks) and some big roots, but the damage to the teeth still surprised me. Two (2) of them came off (I found one and the back of the blade had failed and peeled open) and 2 others have lost most of the blade portion.

The replacement teeth are not bad ($8 each), but they are a pain to get to stay on the shanks without a good torch (which I lack).

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #37  
davitk said:
I will throw in some excitement from a noob, as I finally picked up a box blade albeit a cheapie (Farm and Fleet has the 6' KK on sale for 400.00), hooked it up to the three point, shortened the top link, extended the teeth as far as they would go and proceeded to work up the garden :D easiest work I've ever done.

On a side note I didn't pre-qualify the purchase with SWMBO, boy did she give me a dirty look as I backed that loaded trailer up to the barn. I told her if she didn't like me spending my money then she should go out and get a job so I could spend hers (well, not out loud....)

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. And I'll add, good move not vocalizing that part about her getting a job and spending her money.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #38  
Sniggle said:

I was using it, scarifiers all the way down, to loosen up ground to be used as a 3 acre pasture, and I did hit a few rocks (OK, quite a few rocks) and some big roots, but the damage to the teeth still surprised me. Two (2) of them came off (I found one and the back of the blade had failed and peeled open) and 2 others have lost most of the blade portion.

The replacement teeth are not bad ($8 each), but they are a pain to get to stay on the shanks without a good torch (which I lack).

No. I have not broken off any teeth or bent / broken any scarifiers. BUT, I have a construction / industrial version of the Gannon Landscaper. 66" wide and about 950#. Model LB120 with manual scarifier bar - you move a lever and a spring counter balanced scarifer bar swings down and locks into position. Pull the lever and unlock it and the bar swings up. VERY handy when working hardpack. Swing down the scarifers and hover the box just off the ground for scarifer only contact, breaking up clay, rocks and shale. Flip the bar up and box blade the now crumbly spoils. All without leaving the seat.

I have read where others with "cheap" boxes have bent and broken the scarifers by turning with them down and in the ground. I have done that a lot and never damaged anything. Now, I am awake and don't do tight turns, but a high quality box probably uses better than junk china pot steel and can take much more abuse.

Counter argument is that I paid as much as 4 cheapo TSC boxes...

jb

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #39  
I made a rollover box blade because I wanted to be able to use scarifiers and the box separately. See the build at http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/99596-rollover-scraper-minimum.html?highlight=Rollover.That is that sometimes I wanted to use the scarifiers like a root rake or to drag something out--see concrete sidewalk demolition above in this thread and other times I want to just smoothing things up with out dragging anything new up. This meant changing between scarifiers down/scarifiers up often in one job.

I just could not see myself liking manually putting 4 scarifiers down, making 2 passes and then jumping off the tractor, putting the scarifiers up, making a couple of passes and then repeating.:( So I figured that I needed to either go with hydraulic or manually operated scarifiers, or with the rollover box. Since I do not have aux hydraulics my choices were manual or the rollover. I was fascinated with the Gannon so I tried to imitate it in my copy. I really like it and have not damaged it at all--other than scratches.:rolleyes:

Mike

Last edited:
   / Various BoxBlade Uses
Sniggle said:
Well...yeah! (my infamous photo)
I do have a 55hp tractor which accounts for yanking them through a lot. It did not even slow down when this happened.
The spares are inexpensive at Agri-Supply.

But that was before I made some 5/8" thick supports for them. Since then I've had zero break or bend.

John, thinking about what you said. LOL ... I figure I've still got 2 cheapo boxblades to catch up to you.:)
Even with what I've got invested in mods on my old Howse. Not so bad in my book. I'll say I've made good use of it too, probably saving quite a bit of dough doing all my own grading and leveling for the house and barn pads. Let alone all the road maintenance I do with it. If you have the means and do it right, I think upgrading the boxblade is worthy of consideration as opposed to spending it up front?