Various BoxBlade Uses

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
Over the years new threads keep popping up seeking the answer to "What implement to use for...? or which implement is better for this or that?" Those that come to mind are boxblades, rear blades, road graders, rock grapples or bucket grapples etc., and the list goes on.

I've learned a lot on this forum about specialized implements. There is no doubt that each implement has it's strong points for particular uses. But with budget constraints or limited storage space, that option may not be available or practical for some of us. I thought this thread might become helpful to those wondering what they can do, particularly with their boxblade. Knowing what I know now, I wish I could have that stuff too, but all I have is a boxblade and no other blade, so that's what I use...not by choice but more by circumstance.

Let me explain...
When I first got my tractor, I ordered a box blade and some other stuff, not really knowing what they were used for. Maybe not knowing worked in my favor because I started using the boxblade for everything I could think of. My ignorance freed me to discover ways to make the boxblade do what I wanted. You heard the expression "when all you have is a hammer, every job looks like a nail".

In reading another thread where canoetrpr said this "I originally ordered a rear blade for driveway work and some light grading around the property. I've since changed my mind and put a box blade on order." it got me to thinking to post some ways I've used mine. It might help someone figure things out?

By no means am I implying that a boxblade is better than any other blade, so don't go there. I just wanted to point out what CAN be done with a boxblade if you put your mind to it. I'm hoping others will post some pictures and share how they use theirs.

Here are some of mine.
These show how I cut ditches, crown and smooth the road.

You can also do a pretty good job of building and grading pads and cutting new roads with the boxblade.

You can even use it as a poor man's plow for your food plots and fields. Smooth, rip and cover your seeds.

Hope all these photos are OK, but a little visual goes a long ways.
These pictures will never solve the riddle of "which implement is best for ..." but they help show what can be done with a boxblade. If you can afford to get other implements, by all means do so, but it goes to show you that there are a lot of things you can do with just a boxblade. They might not turn out as good or get done as fast like when using the better tool, but you can do it and get somewhat good results and some self satisfaction by using what you got.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #2  
Great action shots especially those gutters your cutting into the side of your road, you sure put your box to some good use.
JB,

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #3  
Why didn't you show using it to push huge mountains of snow around?

I've used mine for that...

jb

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #4  
3RRl Thanks for the great pictures. I have been planning to by a box blade in the next couple of months for my tractor to "fix" my driveway. Its on a decent hill and has been getting steadily worse for the two years I've been there. Its to the point that my 2wd ranger will only make it up on a good day and my 4wd chevy won't make it on a bad day. I want to recondition it with a box and have some good rock hauled in once its finished. One concern I have for useing the box blade is that my property is fairly rocky and there are a few decent size rocks in the middle of the driveway that I'd like to remove if I'm going to the trouble of doing all this. Have you had any experiance with bigger rocks with your blade. The rocks I have are maybe 4-6 inches thick from what I can tell but can get up to (roughly) 2 foot in diameter. Not sure how they will go over with a box. I don't have a FEL to try to scoop them up and remove them but if the box will pull them out of the ground I can shove them into the creek thats 15' away. Also does anyone have an idea on what size box blade a 3000 ford will pull. I've had my eye on a 6' tsc model. Not sure if thats too big for the tractor.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #5  
A picture is worth a thousand words; Thanks for posting.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #6  
Heck I'm a firm believer in the box blade, it's the only (rear) attachment I have :D

To be effective one needs to have a Top and Tilt so you can make adjustments on the fly.

Attachments

• rsz_L3240HSTC.jpg
    rsz_L3240HSTC.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 3,696
   / Various BoxBlade Uses #7  
I've had the same box blade since 1963 on a Ford 4000. I believe it is called a Hytico and has hydraulic teeth. It's as good forwards as it is backwards. I've been trying to find a similar product for the front of my ASV, but no luck.

jmf

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #8  
3RRL - thats an excellent post! Thanks so much for the pictures.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #9  
Rob,

Very impressive set of pictures. I'm not a big fan of the box blade, but realize it's a good all around tool with practice. I just never learned to work it very well myself and turned to other tools to get the job done.

Have you started on your food plots for this year?

Eddie

/ Various BoxBlade Uses
Wow,
Got a lot of replies already so I see it was worth posting.:)
Glad you like the pictures.

john_bud said:
Why didn't you show using it to push huge mountains of snow around?

I've used mine for that...

jb
Maybe you missed this part where I said:
"I'm hoping others will post some pictures and share how they use theirs. "
That's your calling there John, a perfect opportunity to show how you kill those snow mountains.

Of all the replies, I see only Rebel posted a photo of his nice Landpride boxblade so far. Come on guys, anybody got any action shots? How about other uses of the boxblade? I saw some that had tow hitch balls on them. Others of guys cutting roads like I've done. Where are they? We can get them all in here and use this thread to send new guys to.

Eddie, my food plot is super soft from the heavy rains we've had. I had the Silverado and Kama buried in it a couple weeks ago so I've stayed off it for now. I did see that a lot of the wheat and oats are sprouting up though. They are from when I moved last Dove season. If it gets thicker, I might just let it go this year and see what happens. You'll see it when you come to visit in March.

Most of my boxblade use has been as you saw in the pictures, but I made some gauge wheels for my boxblade shown near the end of this thread Hydraulic Quick Attach Gauge Wheels so I could spread decomposed gravel over my dirt road. I'll take some photos this weekend to let you know how that goes. I figure to spread 1" lifts and compact each lift. I'm trying to get at least 4" down on some areas.
Anybody else use gauge wheels on their boxblade?