How to tell if wheels are loaded

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #1  

DavidInNH

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 (Ellie Mae)
I just bough a used L48. How can I tell if the tires are loaded or not?

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #2  
Take one off and you will find out real quick/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #3  
If you have the valve stem at the 6 o'clock position, and very quickly and briefly press on the core (as if to let air out), you'll see whether you just have air or whether liquid comes out. If it's liquid, catch a small sample and determine what it is. And I don't know much about the stuff, but I assume if nothing comes out, you might have foam filled tires./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #4  
Just take the air valve cap off, and trip the valve in the valve stem when it is at or below the axle. If something comes out other than air, then there is something in there.

Jack one wheel up to rotate the tire, and you will be able to do the same test to see what the level is in the tire. You can taste it to see what it is (and I said 'taste' not 'drink').

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded
Thanks!
What are the different possibilites for the fluid inside? I don't think I want to tast antifreeze. My brother lost his champion sheepdog to a very small antifreeze spill. But then again, if its is antifreeze, I should be able to tell from the color.

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #6  
...and I said 'taste' not 'drink'

Yeah..have a cup of water close by to wash your mouth out...stuff tastes terrible!!!!

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #7  
<font color=blue>...stuff tastes terrible!!!! ...</font color=blue>

Nah..... just salty water.... like swimming in the ocean... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #8  
Actually, antifreeze will taste fairly sweet (ethylene glycol). If it feels slippery, it's probably not windshield washer fluid (methanol/water). If it's salty, calcium chloride. If it's sweet, it's antifreeze.

Ethylene glycol is metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase to form oxalic acid---and that's the stuff that is toxic. So, if you do decide to taste, rinse with water and spit. And then chase it with a couple shots of jack daniels---it'll fill up your ADH sites, and the ethylene glycol will be excreted unmetabolized.

Personally, I probably would go by "feel" and not by taste.

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #9  
By observation.....

Usually they do not go in a straight line, may wobble, or just fall down.

Doh!! You mean ballasted tires.... silly me... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Terry

/ How to tell if wheels are loaded #10  
That reminds me of when i was in auto class in school,My teacher told me "if you see a leak under your car taste it,If it taste's like sugar it's antifreeze,If it taste's like S**T it's oil..../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif