Oil & Fuel Diesel Fuel Storage

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #11  
Kevin, you probably ain't as old as I am. Those 5 gallon cans get heavy./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #12  
Any other advantages, other than the obvious cost savings, to using "off road" diesel fuel. I thought that I had heard something about sulfur content, and being better for the engines. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Jeff

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #13  
Jeff, at least around here you can buy the "off road" diesel either with or without the red dye and either high or low sulphur. In the older tractors the high sulphur was supposed to provide better lubrication, but I think (won't say for sure) that all the newer tractors specify the low sulphur.

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #14  
Hey Bird,
Since you are tractorless, want to sell your old fuel storage rig?

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #15  
<font color=blue>want to sell your old fuel storage rig?</font color=blue>

I let the buyer of the tractor have it. And it was half full of fuel./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #16  
Think I've filled my 5 gallon can.........twice??? maybe 3 times I'm getting old, can't remember.
Yanmars run forever on a fill up

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #17  
Bird, Just because it's a 5 gallon can doesn't mean you have to put 5 gallons in it :) I keep a pair of 5 gallon jugs on hand, and rarely run thru more than 10 gallons a month. My L3710 gets better fuel mileage than my 20hp rider. JJT

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #18  
I have two 5 gallon fuel cans. One metal and one plastic. The metal one was all I could find at the time, expensive, and a pain to use. The plastic one is much easier to handle. The JD4100 is stingey on fuel. I've probably bought 8-9 can fulls of fuel since I bought it a year ago (108 hrs).

Like everyone has mentioned, go with the 5 gallon yellow plastic containers. In summer, one is sufficient. I have the two as a just-in-case for the winter.

Terry

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #19  
This is a timely topic..... we bought our farm about 18 months ago. The previous owner had one of those scrawny orange B-series tractors (only kidding) and a 200 gallon storage tank with a hand crank that can't keep a prime.

So far I have only used fresh fuel in Ziggy from a pair of 2 1/2 gallon cans. But I am wondering if the 100 gallons he left behind is still good. I noticed that Northern has a hand crank pump for about $35 that will work just fine.

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #20  
Every time I lift that 5 gal. can to refuel I think of the pictures Harv posted of the pulley he rigged to lift the can. Haven't gotten around to rigging one. Hard to tell which is weaker my mind or my back. I did buy a bigger funnel/filter so the job goes faster.

Chris