Oil & Fuel Diesel Fuel Storage

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #21  
When I bought my first diesel tractor about 60 tractor hours ago I also considered buying a larger storage tank just for fuel. First I bought a 5 gallon blue can, they didn't have any yellow ones.

Well, I still have the 5 gallon plastic can and found I have only used it half a dozen times or less. I keep the tractor tank at least half full all the time. When the plastic can gets empty or close to it I put it in the back of the pickup and fill it up the the next time I get a chance.

Seems almost everyone else gets by with the same size container, I think you could too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Randy

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #22  
<font color=blue>Every time I lift that 5 gal. can to refuel I think of the pictures Harv posted of the pulley he rigged to lift the can. </font color=blue>

That must be one tall tractor,Or a really weak operator/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #23  
i just use 3--2 1/2 gallon cans, much lighter with these old arms. never let my tank get much below 1/2 then i pour in one can, when 2 of them are empty i refil them. have this fear of running out of fuel, and being stranded in a snow storm with empty tank/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif also use a very wide funnel.

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #24  
I strarted out with a 30 gal barrel ($20)and a new hand pump ($50). over time I got tiered of refeling every 30 days. I went to a auction that had a 75gal barrel for the back of a pickup truck for $75 and sold the pump off of it. I attached it to the inside of my tractor shed 6' off the ground and plumbed it for gravity feed. I really like this tank. With a tank this big COOP will come to fill it when needed, this is nice.
DDT

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #25  
If you plan on using your tractor a lot, get a 55 gallon drum and a hand pump. If you will not be putting a lot of time a 5 gallon can works fine. I have a drum with pump. I have emptied it once already in 3 months. I also put over 100 hrs on my tractor in those 3 months.

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #26  
DC, welcome to the board. You might want to do a search on the storage. It has been around awhile. I used a 5 gallon can for years as my Orange 30 hp used less fuel per hour than my dads 8 hp riding mower... It worked great but the leaky nozzel.. I moved up in equipment and broke down and got a 55 gal plastic drum with a hand pump and hose two filters for less than $120. I load it into the truck once a month when I am really working and fill it up, fill up all my equipment and put it back into the garage with the FEL with about 20 gal left for one more fill up before the next trip. This works best for me...

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #27  
My 5 gallon yellow can (it's a fancy one - has the word "diesel" molded right into the side!) was $5.88 at Menards. I can think of a lot of other things I could spend that other $400+ on ...

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #28  
<font color=blue>I think of the pictures Harv posted of the pulley he rigged to lift the can</font color=blue>

Yeah, that picture seems to have dropped off the edge of the TBN archives, so here it is again (attached). I never did get around to installing real pulleys (although somebody who saw this picture did, as I recall), so I just hoist the jug up and hang it on a sling.

<font color=blue>That must be one tall tractor,Or a really weak operator</font color=blue>

Hmmm... nobody who has met me ever called me weak, but I confess that holding that 6 gallon can high enough and long enough to pour into my 'Bota is stretching my limits Maybe I'm just getting old. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Actually, the method you see in the picture is quick and easy enough that I'm not motivated to look for a better way. Total operation is about 2 minutes, and not a drop is spilled.
wink.gif

Attachments

• 47-128906-PouringDiesel.jpg
    47-128906-PouringDiesel.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 130
   / Diesel Fuel Storage #29  
Hi ya Bird
newer tractors with long oil drain times seem to need low S /low hour drain times high S is ok .i don't realy know what it does in the motor but some of it ends up in ya oil making a acid mix in ya sump this is why i think years ago oil changes were XXX hours or once a year (what ever come frist)now with long drain times the oil is carring carbon etc etc for longer so keeping acid low helps .... ie my last tractor said 500Hr oil changes if low S if high S cut oil changes in 1/2 ie 250 Hr ..
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #30  
Yep, JD, I forgot about that. Another good reason to stay with the low sulphur, in my opinion.