Oil & Fuel Diesel Fuel Storage

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #1  

dcollie

Tractor
Kubota BX22
Hi all,

What does everyone use to store diesel fuel for their tractors? I've always has smaller lawn tractors before and just used 5 gallon cans back and forth to the gas station.

My new Kubota is destined to arrive here next week, and I imagine that 5 gallons fillups will not work very well. I've found a 28 gallon wheeled device with a hand crank pump on the 'net, but at $ 413.00 it seems a bit steep. It's at
http://www.toddusa.com/tdc.html.

Any suggestions welcome !

-Duane C.

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #2  
before spending that much $$$ you should get a few dozen hours in and gauge the fuel consumption. i'd suspect you will be suprized at just how fuel efficient compacts are !!

if you are anything but a professional user, you may just find that the 5 gallon can is the most effective.

the other adavntage is that you are always buying and using fresh fuel and you get winter grade and summer grade when you need it ( if your in a cold climate )

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #3  
Wow, I agree that price is a bit steep! I had a 55 gallon plastic barrel I got free and put about a $20 pump on it myself.

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #4  
That is pricey. Think again about 5 gallon portable yellow plastic containers as others have mentioned. Also think about how you will fill the storage tank.

Egon

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #5  
I agree with Fuel Boy a 5 gallon can is all you really need.

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #7  
I found a 6 gallon fuel container (yellow) and use it. Under heavy load I go through about 1 gallon per hour, so the 6 gallon size is just fine for me.

carl

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #8  
Since my tractor is almost a year old. I too should consider getting a fuel can /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #9  
I vote for the 5 gallon can also.

/ Diesel Fuel Storage #10  
I agree, $413 is hard to justify for a compact tractor since you can get disel at most gas stations...and 3-4 5 gallon gans will only set you back about $20-$30 bucks...

I have a 275 gallon oil tank (the kind you might find your home heating oil in if you had one) and an electric pump.

Not sure how much the pump costs, since the whole setup is from the previous owner, but I know you can usually get the tanks for free or next to free from someone that is converting to natural gas heat.

If you want to store a lot of fuel, I'd go for a plastic 55 gallon drum at most and either a manual or electric pump for it.

At 275 gallons, I have enough fuel for most of the year. I defintely would not have bought a tank this big if it was not already here, but it is nice to have....