How do you break a FEL?

/ How do you break a FEL? #1  

Sniggle

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota B7800 (new to me @ 435 hours
Serious question...I have been working hard with my new to me tractor doing finish grading after a contractor and tracked CAT did the clearing. I am new to FEL's, so occasionally I will move the joystick the wrong way and lift the front end or take the bucket in at a too steep angle. I am just trying to understand the worst possible mistakes to make so I can avoid them.

/ How do you break a FEL? #2  
Don't ram at something on just one side. You can twist all kinds of things.

Don't tip the bucket all the way as though you are dumping it and then trying to use the vertical surface as a bulldozer with the cutting edge perpendicular to the ground and moving forward. Bad/expensive for hydraulic arms.

Backdragging is OK with less than a 30 degree angle. Front edge of blade on the ground and the rear edge of the bucket elevated 5-10" and moving in reverse only.

If you feel the tractor straining, stop what you are trying to do with the FEL. Back up a few inches and resume trying to lift/dig.

If you are digging, a toothbar will make your life easy and it will be easier on your tractor too.

/ How do you break a FEL? #3  
Sniggle said:
Serious question...I have been working hard with my new to me tractor doing finish grading after a contractor and tracked CAT did the clearing. I am new to FEL's, so occasionally I will move the joystick the wrong way and lift the front end or take the bucket in at a too steep angle. I am just trying to understand the worst possible mistakes to make so I can avoid them.
If its a Kubota FEL on a Kubota you will probably not be able to break it without trying. Here are some trys that will probably be effective; #] push hard on a steep bucket angle with the control valve centered, #] ram a tree at 4 or 5 mph [like going down a trail in the woods and catching the bucket on a turn, #] backdragging at 90degree or more bucket angle with the front wheels off the ground -you might get away with that one, #] run it with loose mounting bolts - that would be more likely to break the tractor tho, #] lower extremely heavy loads fast and stop them suddenly. A good FEL sized for the tractor is tough. You must be creative.;)
larry

/ How do you break a FEL? #4  
?How? to break it.. treat it like it is a bull dozer... which it ain't.

As the other poster said. don't take running starts and ram into piles.. and don't try to use the lit to pop stumps.. try to keep the bucket load even and not all on one side.. like leveraging large boulders / stumps.. otherwise your loader may make a 'frown' or be droopy on one side.. Treat it like a hydraulically powered hand shovel and wheel barrow.

soundguy

Sniggle said:

/ How do you break a FEL? #5  
What works the best going into a pile is to use a combo of slow forward and slow upcurl on the bucket, to load it.

Helps a lot to have a bucket level indicator. Hope they provided you one. Mine didn't come with one initially. Mentioned it to my dealer, and he got me one for nothing. Said I should have had one.

Ralph

/ How do you break a FEL?
OK, I have done some no-nos. I did a fair amount of back blading today, and I did sometimes 'rake' the material forward with my wheels a bit of the ground (used it to rake a large boulder out of a muddy quagmire so I could get a handle on it also).

I still occasionally will mess up going into a pile and jack the front of the tractor up...although I am much better now after 6 or so hours using the FEL.

I came close to a big mistake today, almost putting the tractor on its side. I had a bucket full of rocks and I approached the dump point at a bit of an angle to the slope. I started to raise the bucket as I approached the point and the tractor got unstable for a momemt. Cheaply learned a valuable lesson..don't raise a heavy load to dump until you are stopped and stable at your dump point.

Hopefully the bota can survive my learning curve without requiring repair parts.

/ How do you break a FEL? #7  
Keep your load as low as possible, especially when moving on sidehills, or you'll break more than the loader. Your arm or neck comes to mind.

Try to avoid raising it any higher than the minumum needed to dump it if the tractor is not square up and down any hillside. The tractor is narrow and relatively high centered to begin with. Lifting a good load high when the thing is already tipped due to the hill is asking for a serious hurt, not to mention major embarrassment when you tell the wife you rolled the tractor and hurt yourself in the process, so would she please call a wrecker and an ambulance, in that order.

I used the loader on my Kubota B7100 in all kinds of ways that the guys here now say were wrong and didn't hurt it any. I didn't ram trees or stuff, but I did use it steeply angled for both forward and backward digging at ice on the driveway with no apparent harm. I backed down the hill with the front wheels up and the weight of the tractor on the loader quite a lot. I had bolted foot long homemade teeth on the bucket which I sometimes bent, so maybe they took the abuse instead of the loader frame. I also used it for digging out the occasional rock or stump with one corner or the other, again no harm noticed. This was with the 1630 loader, which only had about a 42" bucket and limited lift capabilities, so maybe that saved me from my ignorance.

/ How do you break a FEL? #8  
Sniggle; I've got more ways to break a loader than one can write about. Bring it over and I'll show you most of them in a couple of hours or so!:D :D :D

Now that aside when learning run at reduced throttle and go slow. Do everything slowly til it feels like your not moving. Then it's time to speed up a bit. Nothing like seat time.:D :D :D

/ How do you break a FEL? #9  
Egon said:
when learning run at reduced throttle and go slow. Do everything slowly til it feels like your not moving. Then it's time to speed up a bit. Nothing like seat time.:D :D :D

I like reading safety related items here, reminds me to slow up and enjoy what I'm doing, I doubt I'd enjoy rolling it over! Get work done and stay safe, ;lots of stories of whacking the barn/garage/____ with the FEL while trying to miss something else.
I agree with the guys, it's hard to damage the loader esp if it's got a toothbar on it. Not to say it can't be done, ask yourself what are the forces involved in whatever you're doing, if they're really high, maybe you'd better try another way. More than one bent hydraulic rod story on this forum.

/ How do you break a FEL? #10  
Best way to break the FEL is to learn "the secret" of filling buckets. Guy told me that the secret was to charge in on the spoils pile full speed and full RPM. You can expect that to crack the mounts, the FEL frame, and bend the bucket. I've wondered if it was a buddy from a welding shop that taught that "secret"?

jb