JD 970 PTO clutch

/ JD 970 PTO clutch #21  
rojo said:
I tried brush hogging today and several times I backed into heavy brush with the clutch pushed all the way down and it never released. So I guess I will have to break the tractor in half and see what is going on. Probly will wait a little while longer and maybe try using the post hole auger first.

Rojo,

previously you mentioned you adjusted the PTO clutch to no avail. What procedure did you use/found to adjust release for the pto clutch. one can put all the shock load on the PTO clutch to release the stuck clutch. This can only happen if and only if the clutch action releases the spring pressure for the PTO clutch. if clutching all the way does not release the mechanism is never going to do it till something breaks. Need to make sure pressure plate for the PTO is disengaged first.

JC,

/ JD 970 PTO clutch
JC, I only know of one way to adjust the clutch and that is by measuring the free play at the top on the clutch pedal. This is really only adjusting the main clutch and probly not the PTO clutch. I do not know how I can tell if I am releasing the spring pressure on the PTO clutch with out breaking the tractor in half. If you have any suggestions I am listening.

/ JD 970 PTO clutch #23  
rojo said:
JC, I only know of one way to adjust the clutch and that is by measuring the free play at the top on the clutch pedal. This is really only adjusting the main clutch and probly not the PTO clutch. I do not know how I can tell if I am releasing the spring pressure on the PTO clutch with out breaking the tractor in half. If you have any suggestions I am listening.

Hey Rojo ,sorry for not checking this thread for a while. I know in case of dual clutch for 1000 series tractor below instruction can be used to adjust the pto release mechanism. It seems rubber access (hand hole) on the side of clutch housing is Ford (Shibaura) tractors. I can't see that splitting the tractor is the only way to inspect or adjust PTO pressure plate. I wish somebody from Deere forum chimed in if they have done the procedure. Have you talked with local deere people and asking them if " PTO adjustment can be done without splitting?). They should be able to say that, if so them it's the matter of finding how.

JC,

clutchtf4.jpg