Security & Theft Foreign tractors getting stolen

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen #2  
The reporters seemed to think this was humorous and attempted to report it that way. Don't think they would be laughing if it was their tractor that they paid thousands of dollars for. Some things just aren't funny and I don't think many tractor owners would see any humor here.

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen #3  
Not that it would deter an experianced thief, but they didn't do us any favor by telling the world that most all tractor keys are the same.

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen #4  
I saw that report and didn't think it was funny at all as well. Especially with farms struggling as much as they are now. Then shipping the tractors as far as Australia. Probably a cheap anti-theft device is to chain the steering wheel hard over so they couldn't just drive away. Although a determined thief would cut the chain or lock.
Jim

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen #5  
Or then they just cut through the steering wheel, easier than cutting the chain or lock.

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen #6  
Geez I hadn't thought of that. Maybe get those removable steering wheels like the race car drivers use. Stop the tractor climb off and take your steering wheel with you.:D

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen #7  
jimainiac said:
Not that it would deter an experianced thief, but they didn't do us any favor by telling the world that most all tractor keys are the same.

That's one of many things wrong with the media today. They don't know when to keep their mouths shut. What purpose did it serve to give out that info? Added more words to the story, so what, gave out information that was not needed. I could go on and on, but I won't.

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen #8  
Install a hidden battery isolator switch. Something as big as a tractor could only be stolen if it can be driven away. Removing the steering wheel? I bet they could still steer well enough by differential braking.

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen #9  
Heywood Jannockitov said:
Removing the steering wheel? I bet they could still steer well enough by differential braking.

Shhhh, don't tell the reporters. ;)

I'd think, with all the safety interlocks on tractors these days, it would be a lot easier to keep them from starting than get them to start.

/ Foreign tractors getting stolen
I am going to take an entirely different stand on this and defend the reporter. While I agree the tongue in cheek method is not all that funny, I feel that this subject should be telecast.

First, it is common knowledge that you can go on the internet and get contractor key rings. Other than a stupid teenage thinking this is a gas, most people stealing these things know what they are doing. I doubt there are many people who will act on this new found information. Anyone thinking of taking a tractor already knows the keys are common and have a plan to get such a large piece of equipment off the road.

2nd, shouldn't your anger be voiced not at the reporter, but the tractor manufactures who have not kept up with modern security systems? I mean you have a 100K tractor, and a common key to it? I can tell you a bentleys key has a computer chip, and the key costs tons when it is lost. And with tractor / heavy implement theft as high as it is, why are we not complaining to the manufacturer. Maybe, just maybe, this report is seen by the head of Deer and he says, "Darn, I did not realize how many tractors are getting stolen, lets step up our game and make these harder to take away". I understand the concept of the universal key on a construction site. I do not on a farm. and even on a construction site there are better ways of securing your gear than a universal key.

Finally, isn't one of our tenants in the US the freedom of press? The only problem with our media today is that people watch it. If you don't ask for it you won't get it.

Sorry, stepping off the soap box. Just had to defend my living for am moment.

Carl