Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

Default SLIP CLUTCH

after reading some old post about slip clutch, i remember my old ford 2n had one on the finish mower(tractor end) Don't know if the Befco finish mower that i got with my b2400 has one or not . can't look at it now because it is at my other garage, question. if it does not have one, should i get one, or is it not necessary with the newer tractors,or do i just not need it for finish mower?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Long/Landtrac360DTC

Default Re: SLIP CLUTCH

It should have either a slip clutch or a shear bolt, to protect the implement and the tractor.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

I have never seen a slip clutch on a finish mower.

Most finish mower blades are run by belts on pulleys.
    the belts should slip before you break anything should you hit something.

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

Are you sure that wasn't an overrunning clutch? De- clutching an "N" doesn't disconnect the PTO from the transmission so you need an overrunning clutch to keep the mower from propelling the tractor.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

i do beleive u are correct, the dealer i bought th mower from said i should have one to stop the mower from running the tractor up a tree.did not realize the difference between the two. thought they were one and the same. isee i was wrong AGAIN [img]/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif[/img]. thanks for setting me straight.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 GST

Shear bolts sure sound cheaper. The whole point, AFAIK, of a <font color=blue> finish </font color=blue> mower is to mow grass. I'm not sure how the grass grows in your end o fthe country ... but here in Michigan it hasn't been known to stop many mowers. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Now a bush/brush/trash mower ... on the other hand ... well, lets just say that the 2-3 inch willows have managed to make me intimately familiar with changing shear bolts.