Top Link idea....

/ Top Link idea.... #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
Hey folks,
I am looking into a hydralic top link.. But the budget is just not there right now..
So I was over at Northern tool today and ran across this:

Northern Industrial Heavy-Duty Ratchet Jack, Model# 2608S000 | Hydraulic Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

And it gave me an idea...
I searched the threads and saw one where this was asked, but kinda meandered off...

If the clevis ends could we swapped out for the eye bolt ends, then this would really make the top link changes easier...
Anyone tried this?
Gotchas?

Thanks,
Jim

/ Top Link idea.... #2  
Think I'd rather use it for a side link.

Never tried anything like this, seems like the biggest issue would be that the handle's going to want to always point downward from vibration, and might interfere with something and get bent. Perhaps a couple of bungees to keep the handle pointing up (bungees one to each side, or maybe just one to the top of the ROPS) would help.

Other than that, the ratchet gadget should be easier to adjust than a conventional top link when the link is loaded.

/ Top Link idea.... #3  
I've been toying with trying something like this as well, a ratchet for the top link sure would be nice. There was someone on this board who drilled out the pins on a ratchet load binder and added the ratchet to their toplink, not sure how well it worked. I have a load binder and can't get the pins out with the tools I have (need to borrow a drill press) so I can give it a try. There is a company who makes a ratcheting toplink as well, it was about $100 I think.

/ Top Link idea.... #4  
horse7 said:
seems like the biggest issue would be that the handle's going to want to always point downward from vibration, and might interfere with something and get bent. .

handle is detachable

/ Top Link idea.... #5  
Let me know what you come up with. I would be willing to try that with my 2350.

/ Top Link idea....
This thing is $30...
I think I am going to go give it a try..
I'll post my results...
This may take a bit as I have to travel for work almost all week...

Jim

/ Top Link idea.... #7  
If your're going to buy a cylinder why not buy a new top linkop for $100

jmf

Surplus Center

/ Top Link idea....
jmfox said:
If your're going to buy a cylinder why not buy a new top linkop for $100

jmf

Surplus Center

Ok..
Looks good, but what other parts would I need to make it work?
$100 for this an then $100 for the spool, add hoses, and then ???

I really need a simple and cheap solution for now, but I will keep this on the list...

Jim

/ Top Link idea.... #9  
I vaguely remember something similar at the local TSC without the long handle.

You might want to take a look.

Ralph

/ Top Link idea.... #10  
I made one exactly like you are wanting to do. The problems I have with it are that it will actually shorten up a little too short and can cause some small issues that are easy to deal with. I added some stops to solve the problem. The big problem is that it will not stay adjusted and loading your implement causes the screw to creep. If you could find an acme thread nut that fits to use as a jamb nut you'd be laughing. I plan on cutting an end off adding the nut and welding the end back on. I bought a cheap top link and used the ends off of it. It was cheaper than buying weld on ends. I've had no issues with the handle socket when hanging down as it always does.