Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL

Default Re: Chains or Straps??

<font color=blue>...be careful with that 10 year old strap.</font color=blue>

Yeah, I hear you. My heavy work on the property is behind me now. I mostly just use it to pull up briar bushes. If I could just get time to make one of those nifty tree pullers!

Thanks for the word of caution!

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

i use both, depending on the job. the straps i have i got from a heavy equiptment rigging co. they were used to lift things with a crane, so i figure they are ok for my use.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

I have several 3/8 chains that I pull everything with. Pulling a sump 700 feet will wear anything you use. If you buy hardened chain, big bucks, they will last much longer and I doubt you could break one with a compact tractor.

I had one lifting sling, my son left it some where, but I would not want to pull anything where it might drag in the dirt, especially with something heavy on top of it.

It is easier to shorten up a chain and they never get knots in them you can't get out. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Randy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Long/Landtrac360DTC

I use chains, got a couple as a bonus at an auction. Was biding on some old ammo cans, misc contents mostly old pipe fittings, got 10 of them for 2 bucks apiece. 2 of them had nice 3/8 chains in them. Never tried using straps.

Tractor
    Kioti LK-3504 w/FEL & R4's

I use a 5/8 choker cable. Very easy to hook up around your load, but more importantly, it is very easy to un-hook from your load. Much easier for towing logs around than chain or straps. Maybe them logger are onto something. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 GST

Based on my safety experience in heavy industry ... I'll stick with chain. The problem with slings / straps is that none of us are rich enough to treat them as they're treated in commercial use .... if in doubt - toss 'em out!
    Straps and slings are used in lifting applications because of the weight distribution, stretching ability and width .... but they have a pretty short life. Not because they will fail ... but because no one wants to take a chance.
    Dragging is a completely different application. Fabric does not take kindly to abrasion. And those tied together straps will do the same kind of damage that a broken chain will when it comes apart!
    Lifting ... well, slings - wire rope or fabric are preferred. Dragging - go chain go ...

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TC 21D & Farmall 100

I use both, but prefer the HD 3/8 chains. I have several of different lengths and connect them as needed. Use caution no matter what you do. Lots of horror stories out there.

Tractor
    Kubota B7500DT,June 2000

For what you are doing I would stick with the chain. With a compact tractor you will never be able to break a quality 3/8 chain. I did stretch 1 so bad that you could pick it up like a piece of flatbar but that was using a 4020 JD with good traction.

Tractor
    John Deere 790

<font color=blue>With a compact tractor you will never be able to break a quality 3/8 chain</font color=blue>

I was out roaming our property the other day and found "half" of a length of 3/8 chain. I'd like to say it was the result of my tractor but it was from a Case telescoping forklift pulling out a very stuck lumber truck.

I added it to my chain collection none-the-less [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have used both, but only trusted chain when the load was great. I have heard stories of chain recoil when broken, but I have to tell you, I have broken two chains , one 3/8, and one 5/16 when I logged my place , the 3/8 chain I watched break and there was maybe a 1ft. recoil- it snapped and dropped right about in the same place it was, the other I did'nt see and I did'nt hear , the dozer just broke free, the chain was also in about the same position. I don't think there is a great danger with chain unless maybe you were sitting right on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast