Servicing a JD 790 4wd ??

/ Servicing a JD 790 4wd ?? #1  

tonyp884

I have a JD 790 with 169 hours on the meter. It was serviced a yr ago, about 20 hrs ago by the local JD dealer.
I would like to service it myself. I have no manuals. I need to know what to check, which fluids to change, and what weight oil, etc to use. Do I use something like Shell Rotella 15w40 oil?
I have not yet checked the air filter. I thought I would add the proper amount of Seafoam to the fuel tank.

So far all I have been able to figure out searching the web is:

Engine Oil 4.2 qts
Diesel Fuel 6.3 Gallons
Coolant 5.1 qts

Thanks for any help,
Tony M. Powers
Unionville, NC

/ Servicing a JD 790 4wd ?? #2  
You're on the right track. I have manuals at home if you want more info. You could also go to the dealer and ask them. They'll set you right up with everything you need including oil. For as little as it takes, the dealer premium price won't set you back too much.

That's not many hours so oil and filter may be all it needs.

/ Servicing a JD 790 4wd ?? #3  
Manuals are online.
Introduction for example.
Those 790s are/were made with 3 different engines, separate manual for each.

/ Servicing a JD 790 4wd ??
Looks like winter is about over here, would 15w40 like Shell Rotella be ok?
Grease all fittings, maybe replace air filter ( I have not checked it yet!).
I was also gonna pressure wash the tractor so I can do a good visual inspection.
Am I missing anything? Any needed adjustments?
Thanks,
Tony P

This tractor was purchased new in 2001.
Tony P

/ Servicing a JD 790 4wd ?? #6  
Servicing is really pretty easy on a tractor, and the 790 is an easy tractor to service.

Just find out what fluids it needs from the manual and get the filters from the JD dealer.

Best thing you can do for your tractor is keep the air filters clean. Most wear is from dirt in the air getting past the filter.

Next best thing is to change the hydraulic oil every other year to keep it dry. Moisture builds up and things rust (even with all that oil) also the oil breaks down and turns milky.

It's much easier than you may be imagining. Just get a couple extra oil pans / empty 5 gal buckets for the old oil.

jb

What type of oil / fluid do I put in the front axle on this 4x4 tractor? Just barely showing on the tip of the dipstick! Hydraulic Oil ? Type?
Thanks
Tony P

/ Servicing a JD 790 4wd ?? #8  
From my owners manual, the front axle takes 2.25 qt of John Deere API GL-5 gear oil or it's equivalent. The manual does not list the equivalents. If you have a dealer nearby, I would consult with them as there may have been changes from my vintage to yours. You could also pick up a manual, which can come in pretty handy.