FarmWithJunk opinion needed

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I've been looking at the Flex 71 planters. The problem though is I cannot find fertilizer hoppers. With me going into the foodplot business I believe I'm going to need hoppers,especially with fertizilizer prices being so high. It would be a huge waste to broadcast the stuff. You have any opinions on other planters with hoppers that are easy to find and relatively inexpensive? Thanks!

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed #2  
LabLuvR said:
I've been looking at the Flex 71 planters. The problem though is I cannot find fertilizer hoppers. With me going into the foodplot business I believe I'm going to need hoppers,especially with fertizilizer prices being so high. It would be a huge waste to broadcast the stuff. You have any opinions on other planters with hoppers that are easy to find and relatively inexpensive? Thanks!

Easy to find? And relatively inexpensive? Is this a trick question? ;)

For the "easy to find" part, Look on EBAY for starters. Theres a few JD7000 series planters that have been converted to 2-row. Plan on 1200 to 1500 lbs WITHOUT any seed or fertilizer in the planter though. Many compacts won't deal with that much weight hung 3 or 4 feet off the back of the hitch. Also, look for $1200 to $2000.

Don't be misled by a few of the sellers claims that the pesticide applicators on their planters are fertilizer applicators. The band drop pesticdes on the surface, over the top of the seeded row. Not where or how you want fertilizer applied, especially so on corn. Same rule applies to a few #71 units with pesticide boxes I've seen advertized.

Add an aftermarket fertilizer applicator to a #71... I'm BEGGING Gandy to send me info on their units. So far, not the first response after 3 letters, 6 emails, and 6 phone calls. I get the distinct impression they have too much business and don't want mine.

Ford 309, Massey Ferguson #38 or #39, Deere 246/247, or various International Harvester planters are still around, but are antiques compared to the above models. Theres also a few Allis Chalmers planters that were good in their day.

I'm working on an idea for "in-row fertilizer application" that could be added to a #70/#71 Deere unit planter for a reasonable cost. Talking about fabbing up something from scratch here. There seems to be a demand nowdays.

Other options, Deere (Frontier) food plot seeder, around $6000, KAsco seeders, $4500 to $7000......

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed
I would only be interested in side dressing for corn. Your idea of a fertilizer mount for the 71's would probably sell like hotcakes and I want to be the first to buy one!:D

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed #4  
LabLuvR said:
I would only be interested in side dressing for corn. Your idea of a fertilizer mount for the 71's would probably sell like hotcakes and I want to be the first to buy one!:D

Settle for second? I'm my own 1st customer! I've got a good idea on how to build one with a variable rate drive that's oh, so simple and uses readily available parts that I can get at an auto parts store and a hardware store. Now to work out the details. Don't expect anything in the next few days or weeks, but I'm going ahead with my idea.

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed
Super! They will be a hot item and yes I will settle for second place.:D

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed #6  
So I'm curious, what does the fertilizer attachment look like?. Does this have the fertilizer option or the pesticide option?:

71.JPG

Thats from an ebay auction. I was at a farm auction here last week and they had some 12 row 71 planters but I don't think any had the fertilizer option.

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed #7  
If I get out to the farm, I'll snap a few pics of the 71 with fertilizer hoppers. If anyone needs pics of the mechanics of it, let me know, and I'll take some of any points of interest. It is in bad shape, as far as the fert. portion of the machine goes. The project to refurb the planters continues, and I still use a set of cole planters around the house. They work, but no fert. distributor.

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed #8  
charlz said:
So I'm curious, what does the fertilizer attachment look like?. Does this have the fertilizer option or the pesticide option?:

View attachment 99010

Thats from an ebay auction. I was at a farm auction here last week and they had some 12 row 71 planters but I don't think any had the fertilizer option.

That's a pesticide applicator. Besides not placing fert. where it's supposed to be, the delivery rate would be extremely low with that. Pesticides would be applied in minute volume compared to granular fertilizer. Even at their highest application rate, a pesticide box just wouldn't put out enough fertilizer. And from what I recall of them, pesticide applicators need more of a powdered product as opposed to granular products like most fertilizers.

/ FarmWithJunk opinion needed #9  
Deere Hunter said:
If I get out to the farm, I'll snap a few pics of the 71 with fertilizer hoppers. If anyone needs pics of the mechanics of it, let me know, and I'll take some of any points of interest. It is in bad shape, as far as the fert. portion of the machine goes. The project to refurb the planters continues, and I still use a set of cole planters around the house. They work, but no fert. distributor.

Any and all pitures of the fertilizer drive would be greatly appreciated. I've got parts manuals, but nothing replaces actually seeing the device itself. I've got an idea on how to build my own system but would gladly take ideas from existing designs, especially on the drive.