I hate thieves!!!

/ I hate thieves!!! #1  

Ridgewalker

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC29
A true sign the economy is getting worse...stealing is up.

My daughter's CC card got stolen and used last week. My buddy just had his work truck broken into...they took a brand new DeWalt cordless drill and 2 new 18V battery pack, socket set. etc. About $600.00 worth of tools.

Another friend went into Wal-Mart for about 20 minutes last week, when he came out he started his truck to find his catalytic converter had been stolen.

To top it off, my phone rang at 2 AM this morning. My country neighbor called to tell me someone was walking around the old storage building where I keep my tractor and 4 wheelers with flashlights looking for a way to break in. I live 1 1/2 hr. away from the farm so all I could do was wait for the police and my cousin to call back and let me know what happened. Thankfully nothing was taken but they said it looks like they were looking for a way in. I am heading down tomorrow so see if I can button it up any tighter.

I have the bikes and tractor chained together, you would have to move the tractor (loader is down on the floor) to move the bikes, doors are deadbolted and padlocked, it's about as secure as I can make it.

Anyone else getting ripped lately? It seems to be a trend; I guess it's a combo of warmer weather and a sucky economy

/ I hate thieves!!! #2  
Yep, and as long as people keep buying on Evil-bay, there will always be a market for stolen goods. E-bay is the largest market of stolen goods on the planet.

/ I hate thieves!!! #3  
I'm not so sure its the economy as much as thieves are thieves. Scrap metals are at all time highs(catalytic converters & copper wire), CC and anything left in the open in a vehicle(smash and grab) are all easy targets. Probably the same idea with your building, they where looking for something easy to steal and resell. 4 wheelers where a hot item around here but OK has started requireing them to be registered which is helping some. The economy is still fairly strong in OK, but thefts are reaching epidemic proportions because it is easier for druggies to steal than work.

/ I hate thieves!!! #4  
I'm guessing there will be more fuel stealing activities as diesel and gas goes up and over the $4 mark. Lock it up and load the pistol, shotgun and rifle...:eek:

/ I hate thieves!!! #5  
Glad I renewed my concealed weapons permit;)

/ I hate thieves!!! #6  
As long as crime pays, people will be taking the job. The welfare state we have created isn't helping any either. We would probably be better off if more people were starving and worrying where their next meal was comming from instead of their next fix...

/ I hate thieves!!! #7  
Yes thefts are up here in the country "Meth - the motivator of champion thieves" :(

/ I hate thieves!!! #8  
Not more than an hour ago, I had a scumbag calling, saying he was from my bank, trying to get me to give him my bank account information to get a "free credit report". I told him if I wanted that service, I'd contact the bank for it. Then he started telling me, "OH, you can't get this through the bank, only through this special telephone offer..." At that point I cut him off and hung up.

After thinking about it, I handled it wrong. I should have asked for his name and number and told him I'd be contacting the bank and state attorney general's office to make sure he was legit and that I'd get back to him.

I'll bet he would have hung up on me.

/ I hate thieves!!! #9  
That SUCKS!! So does the storage have power? If so, and if you are handy with wiring, you should hook up a door alarm, but instead of using something quiet, find an old horn, or better yet, an AIR RAID siren, something to draw attention, and scare them off.

And if no power, would a battery powered set up work??

Pretty sad if you have to go to that extent, but I guess as long as stealing pays, they will do it.

Good luck.

Will

Ridgewalker said:
A true sign the economy is getting worse...stealing is up.

My daughter's CC card got stolen and used last week. My buddy just had his work truck broken into...they took a brand new DeWalt cordless drill and 2 new 18V battery pack, socket set. etc. About $600.00 worth of tools.

Another friend went into Wal-Mart for about 20 minutes last week, when he came out he started his truck to find his catalytic converter had been stolen.

To top it off, my phone rang at 2 AM this morning. My country neighbor called to tell me someone was walking around the old storage building where I keep my tractor and 4 wheelers with flashlights looking for a way to break in. I live 1 1/2 hr. away from the farm so all I could do was wait for the police and my cousin to call back and let me know what happened. Thankfully nothing was taken but they said it looks like they were looking for a way in. I am heading down tomorrow so see if I can button it up any tighter.

I have the bikes and tractor chained together, you would have to move the tractor (loader is down on the floor) to move the bikes, doors are deadbolted and padlocked, it's about as secure as I can make it.

Anyone else getting ripped lately? It seems to be a trend; I guess it's a combo of warmer weather and a sucky economy

/ I hate thieves!!! #10  
chh said:
I'm not so sure its the economy as much as thieves are thieves. Scrap metals are at all time highs(catalytic converters & copper wire...

To receive additional Homeland Security funds our airport removed a 6' cyclone fence and replaced it with an 8' fence, topped with barbed wire. For whatever reason the fence was grounded every 100' with a 1" solid core copper wire. Last fall some enterprising individual cut and removed every one of those ground wires along a 2 1/2 mile stretch of road under the cover of darkness. That's over 130 8' solid copper wires @ 3.80/lb. Not bad for 1 night's work.

Sad part is, airport security didn't notice they were missing until I called and asked about it a week later.

I agree with CHH, thieves are thieves regardless of economic conditions.