I think it is stuck (pic)

/ I think it is stuck (pic) #21  
As long as no one got hurt.... and since no injuries were mentioned, I assumed there were none.

Sure looks like a mess to clean up.

/ I think it is stuck (pic) #22  
I dug a lake for my Father with a dragline he bought for the project. It was an old machine with no hydraulic assistance. The engine was inside the cab a few feet behind you, along with all the heat that came off it. If you ran it hard for 8 hours you lost about 10lbs between the work out you got from the controls, and sweating your butt off.

When your reeling in the bucket, sometimes if it has a good enough bite it will pull the boom down and the back of the tracks off the ground while it drags in the bucket. This of course, transfers all the weight, and the force to the front of the tracks. This can happen slowly and without you noticing at first. It really opens peoples eyes if they are watching you work. :eek:

I wonder if this was the beginning of the event with "Big Bertha" here?

/ I think it is stuck (pic)
I don't know how it started, probably as you said. We have had a lot of rain and the dragline is on the spoil side of the pit on a bench, digging the rest of the way down to get to the coal seam about 180ft from the top of the ground.

The model is a Bucyrus Erie 2570 with a 121cu yard bucket. Here is another picture of it in the background. In front of the walking dragline is another animal... a bucket wheel excavator and a cross pit spreader. The picture is blurry, but for reference, the spreader's main boom is about 800ft long. The white thing in front of it is a pickup truck, and this thing has tracks that are huge. Its total length is over 1,400ft long.

They have an article in the newspaper about the incident. It is sketchy on the details and in at least two places misstates it's weight is 6 tons.... But the article says a mine rep said that if they had to replace it, it would cost $125,000,000. Ouch.

Those are some huge dozers. I am always amazed at such large machines. Not just the operation of them but the engineering and construction of these things.

Robert, my grandpa used to be a contractor out at the mines and a custom baler. He had several Fiat Hesstons in the fleet along with Masseys, John Deere, and even a little Kubota. When I was little, I got to play on a lot of stuff. He later sold nearly all of his equipment but the one tractor he kept was the 90-90.

Attachments

• 04-02-08_1643.jpg
    04-02-08_1643.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 360
   / I think it is stuck (pic) #24  
By the landscape, I would guess that is near Lake Limestone. But it has been a few years since I have been in that area (Graduated from A&M, 2002).

SP

/ I think it is stuck (pic)
spryde said:
By the landscape, I would guess that is near Lake Limestone. But it has been a few years since I have been in that area (Graduated from A&M, 2002).

SP

It may look similar but it is the TXU, now Luminant Winfield - South Mine in Titus County. The pit is right beside Interstate 30 just west of Mount Pleasant, TX.

Sometime this morning, they were successful in getting the dragline to rock back on its tub. They moved it back a little and have it shut down while they check everything out on it before starting it up again.

/ I think it is stuck (pic) #26  
Pennsylvania Weldor

There is a big walking one (in my opinion) on game lands 68 above english center

with the leaves off the trees at night I can see it running from my place.

tommmu56

/ I think it is stuck (pic) #27  
Stuck comes in all sizes...:D

Attachments

• best_sunk_cat.jpg
    best_sunk_cat.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 220
   / I think it is stuck (pic) #28  
That one reminds of a story I heard in Michigan about a guy who was digging himself a pond with a dragline. When he came out from dinner he discovered it had sunk about half way up the tracks. He figured he would get it out then next day, but came back to find it like that pic in the morning. By the time he could round up enough machinery to dig it out, the only thing left above the muck was the boom. He finally just left it there to disappear into the goo, or so I'm told.

/ I think it is stuck (pic) #29  
Always enjoy checking out Mega Machines too.... check out this bad boy using this Google search . You would not want to get this thing stuck :)

~paul