TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,251  
Just did a simple thing today with the tractor, took only a few minutes but saved a lot of time and backbreaking work if I had to do it with a shovel or pitchfork. The past couple of days we cleaned out the chicken coop, 3 goat pens and the calf pen. All that added up to a lot of wheelbarrow loads of manure. So out came the tractor to pile it up. You can see from the steam in pic #2 & 3 it is starting to make great compost. :thumbsup: :licking: :D

Attachments

• ManurePile2011 002.jpg
    ManurePile2011 002.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 237
  • ManurePile2011 003.jpg
    ManurePile2011 003.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 243
  • ManurePile2011 004.jpg
    ManurePile2011 004.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 219
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,252  
Today was probably the last day for a long while that I can drive the tractor into the woods without messing up the ground (rains return tomorrow). Part of our disc golf course is up there in the big trees. I noticed that a small, but tall, 10 inch alder had died and was broken nine feet up and had tipped over against a big cedar tree. It was overhanging the 17th green and a potential widow-maker. I drove up the hill and got myself into a safe place and hooked up about 35 feet of chain and tried to pull the bottom nine foot section over to dump it. Well, it didn't want to buckle straight and it went just a bit sideways and jammed against another cedar tree. I had to unhook and drive under it to get a different angle. It didn't fall on me and I got the angle that worked.

The job paid dividends, though, as it was covered with prime oyster mushrooms. I just finished stuffing my face with a bunch of them. Plenty left for my breakfast eggs and home fries. :licking:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,253  
The job paid dividends, though, as it was covered with prime oyster mushrooms. I just finished stuffing my face with a bunch of them. Plenty left for my breakfast eggs and home fries. :licking:

We need to change your handle to "MushroomMan"

You have inspired me to look seriously into farming mushrooms...

David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,254  
The oysters are our most common good wild edible around here. No need to farm them. But seriously, look into growing shiitakes in your area. If you do it the way I do, don't expect to be competitive with the commercials. They put a lot of bucks into plant, and growing on logs won't yield the returns, labor is much more than modern sawdust/wood chip, controlled environment, methods.

I will give away what exceeds my needs. It's a labor of love.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,255  
Yep with rain here near South Bend IN, had about 15 hours of non stop digging with the Cat 320B excavator to keep water from flooded some fields and roads. Had to park it on some spillage just in case the ditches flood.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,256  
Spent a few hours this morning, mowing the area around my burn pile. Waiting for a windless day since the surrounding ground is wet, thus giving me the chance to burn.:tractor:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,257  
Did about 2 hrs yesterday trying to grade my road. I'm a total newbie at this stuff! But, practice makes perfect, and the neighbors will have to suffer through my learning stage. :D Good thing we're all family.

Moved a brush pile for my brother. Something that would have taken him a few hours took me two minutes.

I love my new toy. :thumbsup:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,259  
You have inspired me to look seriously into farming mushrooms...

Wow, called up Northwest Mycological Consultants yesterday before going to town and they got my shiitake spawn to me overnight on UPS! Now I have weeks of work ahead and must stay at it steady. I will be drilling many hundreds of 1/2" by 1" holes into my 70 four foot logs (3" to 10" dia.) and filling them with sawdust spawn, and then painting over the spawn with melted wax. That's the start of the process. Then it's taking care of the logs for different stages of the process.

They sent a flier on shiitake cultivation with a recommendation of this book:
shiitake-growers-110x170.jpg

Off to put the bucket back on the loader and start bringing the logs to my inoculation station.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,260  
Did about 2 hrs yesterday trying to grade my road. I'm a total newbie at this stuff! But, practice makes perfect, and the neighbors will have to suffer through my learning stage.

You got the right attitude. Keep at it and it will become second nature to you :thumbsup: