Page 142 of 391 FirstFirst ... 4292132139140141142143144145152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 3908
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Default Re: TODAYS SEAT TIME

Well after my goats decided to flip thier new house over I got to go back and put it back. Had to remove the roof as the metal was pretty much destroyed, pulled it back and got it on the foundation, and re roofed this evening mostly in the down poor that hit just after I got home with the metal
    It's not as square as it was but hey it's for the goats. I warned them next time they get to hang in the rain. Also got to turn my compost piles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2134-jpg   -img_2136-jpg   -img_2138-jpg   -img_2139-jpg   -img_2140-jpg  

-img_2141-jpg  

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, John Deere LX266 & STX38 Mowers. Stihl MS290 20" bar, & FS190

Quote Originally Posted by Short Game View Post
    BTW, David, you never responded here when I posted the link to the shiitake growing thread in "Projects." Did you miss that?
    Bob,

I am an avid subscriber to your thread and I read every post there.

I am trying to convince my wife that she and the girls would enjoy Mushroom farming and selling their crops to local farmer's markets, along with their eggs.

I am also trying to find a good moist spot without bugs where we can tend our crop.

It is all part of the plan sir, I've just got too many other projects ahead of it...

Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by MossflowerWoods; 11-23-2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typos
    Former Submariner & Army SGT
    2011 Kioti DK50SE HST, KL-401 FEL w/72" bucket, tooth bar, & Ratchet Rake, 2 rear remotes, canopy, WR Long RBG72 Grapple, Woods BB72X cutter & TSG-50 stump grinder, TSC PHD, & more to come. Mowers 2003 JD LX266 42" deck mower, & old JD STX-38 (12.5 hp).

Managing 51 Acres of Virginia hills with ponds & streams, mature market timber, riding trails, empty pasture, long gravel drive, veggie garden, & yard.

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, John Deere LX266 & STX38 Mowers. Stihl MS290 20" bar, & FS190

Quote Originally Posted by lstinthot View Post
    Finished licking my wounds from the day over David's place. Made some rookie mistakes that cost me some time in the garage putting saws back together. Big saw is ready to play again. Little saw still needs repaired, parts are ordered.

After looking over what came home, looks like some of the trunks may be used for Shitake mushrooms, they are mostly blond (sapwood) all the way except for 2 or 3 inches in the center. The other stuff I will cut the sapwood off with the chainsaw mill then send it through my band saw or table saw. Largest heartwood section is only about 7 inches by 4 inches. It grew kinda oblong. Not sure I am going to get alot of wood from the stuff, but crossing my fingers. Thanks again David.

Been too wet here to get tractor out, so rebuilt the kids dirt bike. She fired right up after new piston, crank and clean carburetor. Its sounding good, so next dry time will work on trails in the woods for the bikes.
    LostInThought,

I so appreciate all your hard work sir. I learned so much just watching you from my tractor seat. I am not even close to as confident with a saw as you are. I plan to scour the ground where the part went missing as soon as it stops raining.

I truly hope you get enough heart wood to make that entertainment center you promised the wife.

BTW, I have a killer mountain bike/dirt bike trail (over 2000 feet long with multiple elevation changes) along the western perimeter line and it exits into the power line clearcut... It needs a little work clearing deadfalls and new growth, but should be fun to ride... The prior owner had some quad trails theu uesd to ride, and I've found all of the remnents of them, and coupling them with the thinning trails the loggers cut, I am planning a network of horse/ mtn bike/dirt bike trails.

Thank YOU for all of your help sir. You are welcome over here any time...
    Be well,

David
    2011 Kioti DK50SE HST, KL-401 FEL w/72" bucket, tooth bar, & Ratchet Rake, 2 rear remotes, canopy, WR Long RBG72 Grapple, Woods BB72X cutter & TSG-50 stump grinder, TSC PHD, & more to come. Mowers 2003 JD LX266 42" deck mower, & old JD STX-38 (12.5 hp).

Managing 51 Acres of Virginia hills with ponds & streams, mature market timber, riding trails, empty pasture, long gravel drive, veggie garden, & yard.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by Combustix View Post
    Well after my goats decided to flip thier new house over I got to go back and put it back. Had to remove the roof as the metal was pretty much destroyed, pulled it back and got it on the foundation, and re roofed this evening mostly in the down poor that hit just after I got home with the metal
    It's not as square as it was but hey it's for the goats. I warned them next time they get to hang in the rain. Also got to turn my compost piles.
    The fun never ends with goats
    I worked for a guy who kept a pet billy in the barn. Every morning when I went in to grain his horses the goat would be standing up on the shelf with the coffee pot, radio, and tools on the floor. Then every trip from the grain bin to a stall he would do his best to knock the bucket out of my hand.

You need to maintain a good sense of humor to be succesful with goats
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Elite Member
    Tractor
    LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300

"LostInThought." Thanks, David. I, in my lysdexic way, had made it, "Isn't it hot?"

=========================

Don't tell the goats what you don't want them to do. It only encourages them.

I'm amazed you did so well at getting it back on the blocks. I read a book on carpentry, way back when I moved onto the land. One thing I remember the book said was, the leading cause of failure of outbuildings was "insufficient anchoring." Tie that thing down. Don't make it easy for the goats.

I'd go for some hurricane ties on the rafters too.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Roger on that got some ties and spiked the main post and anchored in cement, will do the sam to the back corners, no way are these goats gonna flip that house again

Elite Member
    Tractor
    LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300

I'd do the front corners too. Either that, or get lots of strong kite string.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Tractor
    John Deere 4600, Craftsman YT4000

We got a bit over a foot of snow in today's storm. The gravel driveway has frozen the last couple of nights, so it was not as soft as it was when I cleared the pre-Halloween storm.

I have a 73" bucket and a 6.5 ft snowplow that has been adapted for JDQA. The snowplow does not have shoes and dug quite a bit on me last time. This storm, I used the bucket. I was able to control the angle and avoided digging the gravel almost entirely. I did hook into the sod beside the drive in a couple of places, but no big deal.

Today was actually my first experience clearing snow with a modern loader. My float worked OK for the most part. My float detent doesn't always take, so I have to watch that. The bucket level indicator was a big help. After I got used to the operation a bit, I set the HST tranny in B range. That was a better speed than the low A setting. I used the steering brakes often. With my weighted R4 rears, I think I can get by on my driveway without chains. If the drive were steep, I would need them, for sure.

I dumped the bucket on almost every push. I probably didn't need to do that. It consumed quite a lot of time, overall.

When my son comes for Thanksgiving, He's bringing a pair of Fisher shoes that he no longer needs (sold that plow & truck). The original shoe brackets were cut off from mine when it was adapted with a custom frame and JDQA. We'll figure out a design for new brackets that will work with the adapted frame. I will probably haul the plow to a welding shop to have the work done, since I don't currently have a welder.

When I get shoes fitted to the plow, I think I will prefer that to the bucket, even though it is not set up to angle. I won't have to be dumping the bucket all the time. I can quickly change back to the bucket if I want to shovel a hole through the snowbank or something.

These last two storms, I have plowed snow with the backhoe on. I bought a nice counterweight that I intend to use. I plan to make a dolly for the backhoe, to make it a little handier to store in the garage. I've also got one more backhoe job I want to do before putting the hoe up for the winter. I've been super conscious of having that thing sticking out behind me and haven't hit anything yet (while plowing snow). I'll like it much better with only my counterweight back there.
    I'm "going green" - my "4-wheeler" is a John Deere 4600 HST!

Tractor

No Tractoring today.

This morning I will re-join the choir to sing bass for a patriotic Thanksgiving service we do every year (you shoulod hear our "Battle hymn"). My oldest daughter will play violin, my wife flute.

I will also read the attached verse and Presidential quote...

Then I will drive the family to Charlottesville for a special dinner with my In-laws at a historic swanky joint of some kind.

Then I will drive the family home again.
    It will be a GREAT Day! (And a GRATEFUL Day).

Be well all of you!
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    David
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MossflowerWoods; 11-24-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: added attachment

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 23

Quote Originally Posted by DennisFolsom View Post
    I've been super conscious of having that thing sticking out behind me and haven't hit anything yet (while plowing snow). I'll like it much better with only my counterweight back there.
    Still have to be conscious of that counterweight back there! I've backed into things with nothing on the back of my BX 23

Spent five hours on Tuesday moving rocks, downed trees and dirt on new snowmobile trail. Started a corduroy road across wet area so landowner can get his skidder to his timber later on.

Page 142 of 391 FirstFirst ... 4292132139140141142143144145152192242 ... LastLast