TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,431  
I put my back out yesterday felling and bucking a pretty big tree. I was doing it because it had the big limbs that I need for my next run of shiitake mushroom logs. My back was so bad that I was sure I would not be able to do anything today, but I was much better after only one night of rest.

I started moving the trunk logs today with my log forks. I took some pics to show my undersized saw. The felled tree ended up hanging off the ground for most of its length so to buck it, I had to do over and under cuts to keep from pinching the saw. It was also on a sidehill, so doing the 'under' buck cuts from the down-slope position would have been a fool's mission. I tweaked my back by trying to reach the too short saw far enough under the log to get the bucks completed from the up-slope side.

I feel good to be back in action and the logs decked up.

The mean diameter of the butt cut was 29 inches. The saw bar is 18.

mushroom_logs_001.jpg

mushroom_logs_002.jpg
That's not undersized at all.........this is(16 inch bar/34 or 35 inch cherry tree):

Attachments

• notch.jpg
    notch.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 226
  • tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,432  
That's not undersized at all.........this is(16 inch bar/34 or 35 inch cherry tree):

Well, maybe if it wasn't for the fact that the tree I was felling was leaning heavily in the wrong direction and the undercut was on the downhill side with no footing. The downhill side was loaded with the many large limbs that I needed it for. The uphill side had no limbs at all. This tree was 29 inches where I cut it off. If I was cutting it low, it was as large as the one you pictured. I would have liked to have made the stump even taller, as I am going to inoculate it with shiitake mushrooms, but I just couldn't reach any higher. If it had been well balanced and standing on nice level flat ground, I would not have had an issue using my saw. Then it landed with the nearly the whole length hanging off the ground on a perpendicular slope. Bucking it would not have been an issue if it had been laying on flat ground and safely approachable from both sides.

Anyway, it looks like you are going to have a nice stock of high quality wood.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,433  
Started my burn pile this morning, great time to do it as we have just had over 2 inches of rain in about 24 hours. Had it tarped over so start burring well using just a minute with a propane tiger torch. Used the tractor to push the edges into the main part of the fire. Later today will move some dirt close to this burn pile to make a new flat spot for 40 yards of shaving we will get at the end on next week. Sun is supposed to come out this afternoon so will get a bit of seat time in. :)

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,434  
I spent a couple hours in 70 DEGREE sunshine moving walnut firewood and bucked limbs. I used the tractor & grapple, and the big wheel barrow and pick-up truck.

I cannot believe it is almost DECEMBER!

David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,435  
well my middle brother got him some seattime using the loader bucket to diggout an check a latteraline.im thinking weve used the new bucket more than weve used the old bucket on the big tractor.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,436  
I got 1.5 to 2 hours today as the sun was setting.

GLORIOUS warm 73 degree day too!

I ground 2 black walnut stumps and moved more limbs/tops to the burn piles. I also sarted shaping/forming the burn piles trying to make sure they will burn and I can put them out if needed.

They will be HUGE bonfires...

Great day!
Be well,
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,437  
Yesterday got a few hours on the tractor making motorcycle trails for the kids. Finished rebuilding one of the bikes and took it for a spin on the trails. Kids are complaining there are too many turns, they want to go wide open and straight. With so many trees around, i am thinking keeping the turns is better. May add a few straight areas after they have been riding awhile.

Bon fire burned all weekend cleaning up old brush pile. Wanted to save some of the wood, but it is all muddy. Just assume get rid of it and cut new clean stuff as it come available.

I think I am in the market for a grapple, not sure the boss has the same feelings. It would make this pile go away much faster. Current operation is loosen up the pile with forks then manually load the forks to carry over to burn pile.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,438  
Bon fire burned all weekend cleaning up old brush pile.

I think I am in the market for a grapple, not sure the boss has the same feelings. It would make this pile go away much faster. Current operation is loosen up the pile with forks then manually load the forks to carry over to burn pile.

LstInThot,

#1 - I REALLY appreciate the txt message chat last evening. Your ideas about smaller burn piles, more often (more marshmallows), measuring the swampy spot & possible remedies, and related topics were extremely helpful. Sometimes it seems I just have SO MUCH to do that I can't even begin to think about all of the details. Your thoughts were very helpful.

#2 - I LOVE my grapple. I love it, love it, love it. Bring the boss over and we will let her run my grapple for a while. That oughta convince her... Thegrapple lives on the tractor, the bucket sits on the dirt near where ever I park the tractor. It is possible the bucket has spent more time in the grapple being carried somewhere than it has on the tractor...

Be well,
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,439  
Yesterday I spent 90 minutes to 2 hours MUD BOGGING!

Actually I was just building the burn pile that LstInThot & family are coming over to help me burn tomorrow (and bringing marshmallows of course).

But the small low/wet spot where I started it is completely a goopy moshpit of MUD. Two or three times I got a little wheel spin and put it into 4wd and instantly got out. But the area around my little boggy spot is a total messy slimy MUD BOG now! I will try to take pix of the "new" burn pile today.

OH! I almost forgot, I got both rears (loaded mind you) off the ground!

I was trying to bust the wet dirt off of a fairly recent large pine stump Johhyc1999 had cut from one of the wind felled pines and as I tried to shake it or "bounce" the FEL, both rears popped up and bounced. I wanted to add it into the burn pile, but instead I put it down and decided to let it dry a while. :D Too much adventure in that stump for the moment.

I believe we are going to discover that my boggy spot is due to all of the weight from the logging trucks, logs, and loader compressing/compacting the area last Nov. 100 loaded log trucks will do that I think...

Be well everyone!
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,440  
Yesterday I spent 90 minutes to 2 hours MUD BOGGING!

I believe we are going to discover that my boggy spot is due to all of the weight from the logging trucks, logs, and loader compressing/compacting the area last Nov. 100 loaded log trucks will do that I think...

Be well everyone!
David

There are threads on using a subsoiler to eliminate soggy spots. Soil compaction can cause that; our renters use a subsoiler every couple of years.