TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,511  
Yesterday, after I learned about the 3pt speed adjustment :eek: I did some post hole digging & earth moving.
This is one of those things people forget about.

We had VERY heavy rain, and my property is not dry to start with.

I hit a couple spots with more clay, and they were very wet and gooey, and the PHD felt a little like it was going to lift the front tires (definately was bouncy) and also the holes were NOT going in straight.
Yep, It will pull the front of these tractors right off the ground. Wait until you stick the auger and the tractor is sitting there with the front tires 6 to 12 inches off the ground and you are trying to figure out how to unstick the auger.

Can anyone give me instruction on the finer points of PHD operations? How do I make straight holes?
Next to impossible!

The other thinng I got to do was use the diff lock. I was trying to knock down a bit of a ridge formed by the loggers and the mulcher right along the line of the fence. I did manage to plane off a few bucketfulls of grass, mud, etc, but holy cow the tires were spinning in low 4x4 & diff lock. FIRST TIME I ever thought I wonder how R1's would have done. But I suspect they would have just dug DEEPER wheel ruts.

In the end I knocked the ridge down enough, buyt I also made wheel ruts on each side that I will need to remedy when things dry out.

Harumpf! That is not the end result I was desiring.

More seat time is planned for today running the PHD...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Blessings upon all TBN'ers!
David
I welded a 12 inch piece of pipe to the top of out PHD that we can slide a crowbar into so a second guy can pull down on the bar to create down pressure while drilling. In most cases the hole will end up being straighter.
I also drilled a 5/8 inch hole near the top of our auger so we can slide a 5/8 inch piece of steel into the hole for backing out a stuck auger.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,512  
If you have much digging left, I could load up the back hoe and come play. I'm in Spotsylvania and been over David's place , are you too far from there?

Mike

Hey Mike, I could definitely use a backhoe sometime if you were up for playing! My property is all hills, which equals lots of retaining walls and terracing! Right now I'm building a timber retaining wall around my shed, which I should have done before I built it!

I'm also 3/4 of the way through a stone retaining wall along my driveway, including relocating the ill-placed gate leading into my yard. You can see a bit of the stone wall to the right of the second picture. To give you an idea of what I'm working with:

Attachments

• retainin wall1.jpg
    retainin wall1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 280
  • HOUSE1.jpg
    HOUSE1.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 256
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,514  
Can anyone give me instruction on the finer points of PHD operations? How do I make straight holes?

Take it slowly and have an observer there to check you for plumb as you go deeper to keep the top of the boom directly over the hole. My boom is really long, requiring I keep creeping forward as the bit goes down. I need a spotter to give me signals, or else I stop and get off to line it up as I go.

If the bit doesn't pull itself into the ground, it's probably got sod or roots wrapped around the cutting edges. Best to lift it and clear the crud. Once it is into the dirt, it should go right on down.

Have a big wrench handy that fits somewhere on the auger shaft (I use a big pipe wrench). If you get tangled in roots or rocks, the only way back out is to turn the bit backwards. My auger is 13 inches in diameter and it can really get caught. I wish PTOs were reversible.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,515  
Got some family time out gathering wood. We are getting back into burning wood inside, due to the fact I probably have 4 years of wood laying on the ground. We just need to split and carry it. Kids got their turn at swinging the ax, we sold the log splitter a few years ago when we moved to a neighborhood. I may be in the market to make one or buy one now that we have land again.

Attachments

• Payton splitting.jpg
    Payton splitting.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Sara splitting.jpg
    Sara splitting.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 223
  • tractor loaded.jpg
    tractor loaded.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 236
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,516  
Hey Mike, I could definitely use a backhoe sometime if you were up for playing! My property is all hills, which equals lots of retaining walls and terracing! Right now I'm building a timber retaining wall around my shed, which I should have done before I built it!

I'm also 3/4 of the way through a stone retaining wall along my driveway, including relocating the ill-placed gate leading into my yard. You can see a bit of the stone wall to the right of the second picture. To give you an idea of what I'm working with:

Looks like lots of fun to be had. Will have to arrange a time to get down there. I may have to stay around here and play for a little while with family coming in.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,517  
Looks like lots of fun to be had. Will have to arrange a time to get down there. I may have to stay around here and play for a little while with family coming in.

I sure would appreciate it! Whenever you have the time we'll schedule something. Thank you!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,518  
jonnyc1999 said:

I will assume you have done walls like his before but just in case, drainage behind the wall is critical to a success wall installation.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,519  
Well, I've got in more than 7 hours of snow moving in the last two days. I even plowed out my road to the hwy. What a good way to learn how to plow! Too bad the hwys truck came and cleared it all down smooth, as I had left it lumpy due to the impending melt. Now there are large sheets of ice in spots. Lucky they just sanded again:)! Thank goodness they don't come into the barnyard or house yard as it is still nice and lumpy and safe to walk/drive on.
Will wait until tomorrow to do the ridges under the eaves of the shed and plow out (again) to hayshed and into cow yard.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,520  
I will assume you have done walls like his before but just in case, drainage behind the wall is critical to a success wall installation.

Yeah, the wall behind my house required engineers to be involved, and is 7 ft. deep behind the stone blocks with lifts of compacted pea stone and mesh, with perforated drains along its length.

The wall along my driveway is somewhat more aesthetic than functional, as it is only holding back a bit of planting bed and driveway. I'm still planning on adding drainage though:thumbsup: