Page 154 of 635 FirstFirst ... 54104144151152153154155156157164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 6346
    Tractor
    2010 Kioti DK40SE w/ KL401 Loader

Default Re: TODAYS SEAT TIME

Quote Originally Posted by JD 4520 View Post
    I will be falling several trees in the back acreage in the next two weeks for firewood.

Just curious, what does a cord of wood cost in your area?
    I have no idea as to the cost for a cord. I may be paying too much, but what you see on the trailer ran me $100. It will bring a return of somewhere right around $1,200., after quite a bit of work. I'm semi-retired and just like to have something to do when I don't have any "real jobs" going on.

Oh, I get these logs from a local tree surgeon. Is that how surgeon is spelled?
    For a complete soul cleansing, spend the day on a tractor.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by wrflt View Post
    I have no idea as to the cost for a cord. I may be paying too much, but what you see on the trailer ran me $100. It will bring a return of somewhere right around $1,200., after quite a bit of work. I'm semi-retired and just like to have something to do when I don't have any "real jobs" going on.

Oh, I get these logs from a local tree surgeon. Is that how surgeon is spelled?
    Boy! I live in the wrong place. Up here if you buy $100 worth of logs it is only worth $150 after you work it up into fire wood. And then you have to deliver it too. You get $200 if you wait to get it dry. What is your secret ?
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    John Deere 2305

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gould View Post
    Boy! I live in the wrong place. Up here if you buy $100 worth of logs it is only worth $150 after you work it up into fire wood. And then you have to deliver it too. You get $200 if you wait to get it dry. What is your secret ?
    First, we'd pay more than $100 for that much good hardwood.

Second, everyone and their brother up here knows they need wood and owns 2 mauls, three saws, and a few wedges. There's always a gas splitter next door if there's not one in your own garage. I doubt it's the same in Georgia. I imagine demand is more spikey, but when it spikes - those who want wood have no ability to produce it.
    NC

My hills have hills.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gould View Post
    Dang, is all I can say to that! Please take no offense but, DANG!!!

I have no great secrets. Buck it out at 20". Get as many splits as possible. Have a good place for folks to see it. (I don't deliver).

I have seen a lot of places, like for example, the grocery store will have a wrapped bundle of about 5 or 6 pieces of fire wood for as much as $25.00. To me, that is ludicrous! I thought I could do a lot better than that by providing a "stacked" bucket load for $35., and I do. I have a 72" bucket. I don't know, it just works out. Most folks don't seem to mind if it's green or cured.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by North Country View Post

Second, everyone and their brother up here knows they need wood and owns 2 mauls, three saws, and a few wedges. There's always a gas splitter next door if there's not one in your own garage. I doubt it's the same in Georgia. I imagine demand is more spikey, but when it spikes - those who want wood have no ability to produce it.
    I think this is "right on". Probably the answer you're looking for. I know my brother lives in the mountains of NC, and just about everyone that burns wood, cuts their own. They even "get together" to help each other with the chore. Can you imagine that?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by North Country View Post

I agree. I was just saying what a $100 log pile would bring us up here. No criticism intended - just amazement. I would think there are plenty of mauls and splitters down there too. And they have plenty of hardwood. I would assume our demand would be much higher than in GA getting us a better price not lower.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    1980 Kubota B7100, 2012 B2320

Not sure if this is relevant but here in Atlantic Canada prices range from $220 to $250 for a full cord of dry firewood, cut, split & delivered. I found a deal a couple of weeks ago & got Maple in 8' lengths for $80 a cord & it was 20 min. from my house. I cut it there, hauled it home, split & stacked it. Ended up with 4.5 cords as the owner & I had guesstimated when we made the deal. Another guy wants the back of his lot cleaned up a bit after Xmas - estimate about 4 - 5 cords of Maple, mine for the labour. Need some freezing weather so I can use my 1980 kubota B7100 to skid them out after felling, to where I can cut & load my truck & trailer. Same distance, about 20 min. from home. I have a Super Split wood splitter but the whole exercise makes all joints/muscles sore. Ya gotta love it - been messing with firewood since I was a kid & now I'm 63.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pike View Post
    Ya gotta love it - been messing with firewood since I was a kid & now I'm 63.
    May I just say...You Da Man!

I'm 56 and I do love it. The man I get my wood from is 67 and can run circles around me. I just hope I can get around like him if I'm blessed enough to reach his age and beyond.

Question: Because I don't know and would like to, how much wood does a cord consist of?

Tractor

Ken - Those prices are close to what we see here. About $100 a cord log length. $150 a cord green split and delivered and $200 plus dry split and delivered. The prices vary with species, the time of year, the weather, and hardwood pulp prices.
    Cleaning up for land owners is a good deal for both. Normally they would have to pay to get it done and you get the wood. I used to clean up the bumper trees for a logger. When he was finished he would skid them out into a pile at the landing for me. I never new what I would get but it all burned.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by wrflt View Post
    May I just say...You Da Man!

Question: Because I don't know and would like to, how much wood does a cord consist of?
    128 cubic feet. Usually a pile 8' long, 4'wide, and 4' tall. So if you cut your wood 16" long and split and stack it .You get three 8' rows 4' high.

This is a total guess but you probably have about 1.5 maybe two at the most cords on your trailer.

Page 154 of 635 FirstFirst ... 54104144151152153154155156157164204254 ... LastLast