TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,531  
I will be falling several trees in the back acreage in the next two weeks for firewood.

Just curious, what does a cord of wood cost in your area?

I have no idea as to the cost for a cord. I may be paying too much, but what you see on the trailer ran me $100. It will bring a return of somewhere right around $1,200., after quite a bit of work. I'm semi-retired and just like to have something to do when I don't have any "real jobs" going on.:)

Oh, I get these logs from a local tree surgeon. Is that how surgeon is spelled?:eek:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,532  
I have no idea as to the cost for a cord. I may be paying too much, but what you see on the trailer ran me $100. It will bring a return of somewhere right around $1,200., after quite a bit of work. I'm semi-retired and just like to have something to do when I don't have any "real jobs" going on.:)

Oh, I get these logs from a local tree surgeon. Is that how surgeon is spelled?:eek:

Boy! I live in the wrong place. Up here if you buy $100 worth of logs it is only worth $150 after you work it up into fire wood. And then you have to deliver it too. You get $200 if you wait to get it dry. What is your secret ?

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,533  
Boy! I live in the wrong place. Up here if you buy $100 worth of logs it is only worth $150 after you work it up into fire wood. And then you have to deliver it too. You get $200 if you wait to get it dry. What is your secret ?

First, we'd pay more than $100 for that much good hardwood.

Second, everyone and their brother up here knows they need wood and owns 2 mauls, three saws, and a few wedges. There's always a gas splitter next door if there's not one in your own garage. I doubt it's the same in Georgia. I imagine demand is more spikey, but when it spikes - those who want wood have no ability to produce it.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,534  

Dang, is all I can say to that! Please take no offense but, DANG!!!

I have no great secrets. Buck it out at 20". Get as many splits as possible. Have a good place for folks to see it. (I don't deliver).

I have seen a lot of places, like for example, the grocery store will have a wrapped bundle of about 5 or 6 pieces of fire wood for as much as $25.00. To me, that is ludicrous!:confused2: I thought I could do a lot better than that by providing a "stacked" bucket load for $35., and I do. I have a 72" bucket. I don't know, it just works out. Most folks don't seem to mind if it's green or cured.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,535  

Second, everyone and their brother up here knows they need wood and owns 2 mauls, three saws, and a few wedges. There's always a gas splitter next door if there's not one in your own garage. I doubt it's the same in Georgia. I imagine demand is more spikey, but when it spikes - those who want wood have no ability to produce it.

I think this is "right on". Probably the answer you're looking for. I know my brother lives in the mountains of NC, and just about everyone that burns wood, cuts their own. They even "get together" to help each other with the chore.:confused: Can you imagine that?:laughing:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,536  

I agree. I was just saying what a $100 log pile would bring us up here. No criticism intended - just amazement. I would think there are plenty of mauls and splitters down there too. And they have plenty of hardwood. I would assume our demand would be much higher than in GA getting us a better price not lower.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,537  
Not sure if this is relevant but here in Atlantic Canada prices range from $220 to $250 for a full cord of dry firewood, cut, split & delivered. I found a deal a couple of weeks ago & got Maple in 8' lengths for $80 a cord & it was 20 min. from my house. I cut it there, hauled it home, split & stacked it. Ended up with 4.5 cords as the owner & I had guesstimated when we made the deal. Another guy wants the back of his lot cleaned up a bit after Xmas - estimate about 4 - 5 cords of Maple, mine for the labour. Need some freezing weather so I can use my 1980 Kubota B7100 to skid them out after felling, to where I can cut & load my truck & trailer. Same distance, about 20 min. from home. I have a Super Split wood splitter but the whole exercise makes all joints/muscles sore. Ya gotta love it - been messing with firewood since I was a kid & now I'm 63.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,538  
Ya gotta love it - been messing with firewood since I was a kid & now I'm 63.

May I just say...You Da Man!:thumbsup:

I'm 56 and I do love it. The man I get my wood from is 67 and can run circles around me. I just hope I can get around like him if I'm blessed enough to reach his age and beyond.

Question: Because I don't know and would like to, how much wood does a cord consist of?:confused:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,539  
Ken - Those prices are close to what we see here. About $100 a cord log length. $150 a cord green split and delivered and $200 plus dry split and delivered. The prices vary with species, the time of year, the weather, and hardwood pulp prices.
Cleaning up for land owners is a good deal for both. Normally they would have to pay to get it done and you get the wood. I used to clean up the bumper trees for a logger. When he was finished he would skid them out into a pile at the landing for me. I never new what I would get but it all burned.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,540  
May I just say...You Da Man!:thumbsup:

Question: Because I don't know and would like to, how much wood does a cord consist of?:confused:

128 cubic feet. Usually a pile 8' long, 4'wide, and 4' tall. So if you cut your wood 16" long and split and stack it .You get three 8' rows 4' high.

This is a total guess but you probably have about 1.5 maybe two at the most cords on your trailer.