TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,731  
haywire,

no, the ditch got somewhat plugged up from the sides falling in when i dug out the blockage it was like a small dam letting go.

cm

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,732  
Second (Can you believe it?) major snowfall of the winter. More snow to move. For a while, I was beginning to think I mounted the blower for nothing.

Joe

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,733  
Not really tractor related, but since snow seems to be the theme, we haven't had any this winter to speak of but we get up this morning to prepare for the movers to arrive and find 2" of snow covering everything. The moving truck isn't getting to the barn I bet. Snow capping the mud doesn't make for good traction.

Ian

correction... 4 inches

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,734  
Not really tractor related, but since snow seems to be the theme, we haven't had any this winter to speak of but we get up this morning to prepare for the movers to arrive and find 2" of snow covering everything. The moving truck isn't getting to the barn I bet. Snow capping the mud doesn't make for good traction.

Ian

correction... 4 inches

How was the move?

I hope it went well.
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,735  
spent several hours digging a trench for a french drain there is a spring beside the barn that is creating water problems.

cm
That's a mess!

Well, Good job on digging the ditch!!!:thumbsup:.... It's tough digging in wet conditions like that, and the mud wants to stick in the BH bucket.

Looks like your Massey did a fine job!!!:)

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,736  
The sun came out today but it was my "go to town day." But it was also my, "new keg of IPA day." I had to put the bucket back on so I could get the keg up to the deck so I could wheel it to the fridge on the hand truck. I stopped at a friend's house on the way back up the valley and he needs me to run the three miles down there tomorrow and bury the rotting elk that's 100 feet from his house before it gets any smellier.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,737  
Had to move the new "free" hot tub. Was going pretty good till the back deck. Can't make the turn to get it to the pool deck, crane has to come in, was trying to save a few bucks being free and all. Told the wife it was going to cost $1000 to get our free hot tub going, looks like I may not be too far off the figure.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120308_094001.png
    ForumRunner_20120308_094001.png
    563.7 KB · Views: 252
  • ForumRunner_20120308_094021.png
    ForumRunner_20120308_094021.png
    508.5 KB · Views: 222
  • ForumRunner_20120308_094051.png
    ForumRunner_20120308_094051.png
    507.7 KB · Views: 228
  • ForumRunner_20120308_094120.png
    ForumRunner_20120308_094120.png
    494.9 KB · Views: 240
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,738  
Had to move the new "free" hot tub. Was going pretty good till the back deck. Can't make the turn to get it to the pool deck, crane has to come in, was trying to save a few bucks being free and all. Told the wife it was going to cost $1000 to get our free hot tub going, looks like I may not be too far off the figure.

Mike,

What about 5-6 guys and some heavy duty moving dollies? I moved the piano by my self with two dollies... 1,000 lbs each...

Free is a VERY good price!

Be well,
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,739  
I have seen tubs like that stood on their side and moved that way. You'll need something with bigger wheels than typical dolly or else lay down some sheet goods and use the regular dollies. Harbor Freight has some rated at 1000 lb each for a decent price. On sale they are cheaper than buying just the casters.

Even considering the cost of providing a celebratory dinner for your helpers and the cost of dollies and sheets of OSB or plywood it still would be way cheaper than a crane.

Lately my only seat time has been delivering two each 1000 lb bales of hay to the herd every couple days. I have a hay spike on both ends of my little Kubota (Grand L4610HSTC, hydrostsat with cab and 39HP.) So into barn to spear first bale with front spear and then outside to drop the bale and spear it with 3PH mounted spear. Then back in for another bale on the front and off to re-position the hay rings and drop off the bales (sans netting.)

There is a thing called the dumbbell effect (OK, I'll wait for the comments and tittering to subside...) which refers to the distribution of mass towards the ends of a load, like the dumbbell used in weight lifting. If the doubly loaded tractor is started turning then when you want to go straight... oh boy you overshoot as the tractor doesn't want to stop turning. If you are on a light mud layer due to recent rain your antics (until you learn the characteristics) resembles the hippo in a tutu in the Disney film "Fantasia."

The juggling act getting hay onto both ends of the tractor is because the hay is stacked three rows high and the rear spike can only reach the bottom row. The Kubota has just barely enough reach height with the FEL mounted hay spike to stack/unstack hay 3 rows high. That is OK though because the third row is very near the overhead trusses and a bigger tractor couldn't do more and would be less maneuverable.

Pat

Last edited: