TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,831  
Yesterday I finally, with some reservation, took another shot at improving the drainage on my 200' of a shared road. I started a couple weeks ago with my almost new box blade but my top link was to short and separated. I have a solid road base and have only had to add gravel once in 10 year and it is on an even grade, did not want to mess it up. But, my neighbors above refuse to agree on ditching their portion and water runs right onto my portion. The wheel ruts are starting to carry more water on down washing out my other neighbors road and my exit route. I don't want to just keep adding gravel.
With new longer top link in place I First cleaned out the old ditch on the left side. Had to dump box full of dirty grass and gravel about every 25 ' used the FEL to move them out of the way then made a clean up run.
Went after the right side ditch with my FEL and tooth bar because it was to rough and bumpy and angled to try the box blade. I was working across the road but when I backed up with my first bucket full of dirt I hung the BB up on the berm behind me because I had cleaned out the left ditch first. Wasn't a problem before. Got more BB practice taking down the berm about six inches. Will need to go back after the Right ditch with a rear blade or the FEL without the tooth bar to clean it up.
Next knocked down the out side of the ruts on both sides moving material back to the middle and filling in the ruts so it would drain into the improved ditches took a couple careful passes down the middle to move that gravel into the ruts, but still leave a little crown.
Stopped there before I created a problem. I'll see how things settle in over the next week. Feel pretty good about my first two hours of road work.
Good seat time and another lesson learned.
Lookout for the Easter Bunny
RoN

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,832  
Well I have been working on my on going road project. Today I finally remembered to take the camera with me and took a few pictures of my mess. The road mess and the mess I make when I try to clean the road up?:ashamed:

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    926.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 261
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,833  
Put around 4.5 hours on the brand new BX-42 this week-end. Two thumbs up!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCN2700.jpg
    DSCN2700.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN2701.jpg
    DSCN2701.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 251
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,834  
Finally drying up a bit here so did get a bit of seat time. Graded the road and then piled the manure pile, then after cleaning out the chicken palace piled it again. Also move about 10 buckets of left over drain rock to build up the road a bit behind the chicken palace. All in all a good day. :tractor: :cool2:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,835  
I cut about 3 acres with the BX, 1 of which really need a bush hog. No actual brush but high thick grass that clogged my deck constantly. I should have raised the deck up and cut it twice, but I was running out of daylight.

Ian

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,837  
Yesterday I mowed 8 acres of nice flat pasture with no obstructions and some 1'-2' tall mesquites in it for a customer. The mesquites were pretty sparse and maybe 1/4" to 1/2" in diameter. Used my TN70D and a Rhino SE7 7' rotary mower. Took just under 3 hours. Got a really nice cut at 4.3 mph.

There were 3 horses in the pasture, so I mowed out about 100' clear area around a holding pen then moved the horses into the pen while I mowed the rest of the pasture. I sure didn't want to hurt one of his horses with a flying rock or something else.

Tim

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,838  
Yesterday I mowed 8 acres of nice flat pasture with no obstructions and some 1'-2' tall mesquites in it for a customer. The mesquites were pretty sparse and maybe 1/4" to 1/2" in diameter. Used my TN70D and a Rhino SE7 7' rotary mower. Took just under 3 hours. Got a really nice cut at 4.3 mph.

There were 3 horses in the pasture, so I mowed out about 100' clear area around a holding pen then moved the horses into the pen while I mowed the rest of the pasture. I sure didn't want to hurt one of his horses with a flying rock or something else.

Tim

Ever any trouble with mesquite thorns? We have a couple varieties of locust trees with ENORMOUS thorns. Brush hogging them scatters thorns and is asking for tire problems. They need special attention.

Pat

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,839  
Went to the neighbor's and grubbed out a bit of a swale/drainage ditch. Had a small stump and lots of roots they wanted to get rid of. Had a nice cup of tea and a bagel after. Enjoyed the seat time. :)

Attachments

• JohnDig2012 001.jpg
    JohnDig2012 001.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 194
  • JohnDig2012 002.jpg
    JohnDig2012 002.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 207
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,840  
Ever any trouble with mesquite thorns? We have a couple varieties of locust trees with ENORMOUS thorns. Brush hogging them scatters thorns and is asking for tire problems. They need special attention.

Pat

Not so much Pat, I haven't had a flat on the tractor that I could attribute to a mesquite thorn. They sure will puncture a pick-up or trailer tire though. I offered to grub the pasture for him but he said that he just wanted to mow it down for now.

I have a LS170 skid steer with a grubbing hoe mounted that will do a good job of rooting that size mesquite out. It just takes a while to do. Then you have to rake or pick up the mesquites and put them in a brush pile.

Tim