TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,851  
Now that looks like fun. It is amazing what a little crawler will do!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,852  
hooked up the new aerator and punched out my lawn.....:laughing:

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 306
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,853  
Finished taking out this years road rocks that the frost pushed up. When you can see just one little tip sticking up you don't know how big they are til you get them out. If they don't come easy with the tractor I use my little 70 hp dozer. Tons of fun :)

That is a HUGE rock! :confused2:

Any guesstimate on weight?

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,855  
I am thinking about 3000 lbs. Wouldn't put in my half ton but not a problem for my 350.

Man - Thats a pretty good guess. :thumbsup:
You got me curious so I went out and measured it. It has a pretty regular shape and easy to figure. I got 16 cubic feet. Solid granite is 168 lb per cu ft which gives 2688 lbs.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,857  
I swapped the points on my field cultivator, and did about half of the target area. With sharp points it sure is a slower process for my tiny tractor.
Hoping tonight and/or tomorrow I can get the other half done before the gound drys out too much.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,858  
Yesterday I finally, with some reservation, took another shot at improving the drainage on my 200' of a shared road. I started a couple weeks ago with my almost new box blade but my top link was to short and separated. I have a solid road base and have only had to add gravel once in 10 year and it is on an even grade, did not want to mess it up. But, my neighbors above refuse to agree on ditching their portion and water runs right onto my portion. The wheel ruts are starting to carry more water on down washing out my other neighbors road and my exit route. I don't want to just keep adding gravel.
With new longer top link in place I First cleaned out the old ditch on the left side. Had to dump box full of dirty grass and gravel about every 25 ' used the FEL to move them out of the way then made a clean up run.
Went after the right side ditch with my FEL and tooth bar because it was to rough and bumpy and angled to try the box blade. I was working across the road but when I backed up with my first bucket full of dirt I hung the BB up on the berm behind me because I had cleaned out the left ditch first. Wasn't a problem before. Got more BB practice taking down the berm about six inches. Will need to go back after the Right ditch with a rear blade or the FEL without the tooth bar to clean it up.
Next knocked down the out side of the ruts on both sides moving material back to the middle and filling in the ruts so it would drain into the improved ditches took a couple careful passes down the middle to move that gravel into the ruts, but still leave a little crown.
Stopped there before I created a problem. I'll see how things settle in over the next week. Feel pretty good about my first two hours of road work.
Good seat time and another lesson learned.
Lookout for the Easter Bunny
RoN

So here are some before and after pictures.
Cleaned out the ditch on the right this last weekend. Decided to partially fill it in so I could drive the tractor in the ditch and us the FEL to do an initial smoothing run and then made a clean run with the box blade. Still have some low spots with weeds will take another run at the ditches next fall in prep for the winter. Will add a little more gravel and take another run at the edge of the road with the box blade this weekend to develop a crown.

Attachments

• RonJD670-Project #3 Road Before--WP-IMG_0056.jpg
    RonJD670-Project #3 Road Before--WP-IMG_0056.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 273
  • RonJD670-Project #3 Road After-WP-IMG_0060.jpg
    RonJD670-Project #3 Road After-WP-IMG_0060.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 271
  • RonJD670-Project #3 Road After -WP-IMG_0068.jpg
    RonJD670-Project #3 Road After -WP-IMG_0068.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 291
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,859  
Man - Thats a pretty good guess. :thumbsup:
You got me curious so I went out and measured it. It has a pretty regular shape and easy to figure. I got 16 cubic feet. Solid granite is 168 lb per cu ft which gives 2688 lbs.

Shows I have picked too many rocks in my time! I don't like them at all.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,860  
Yesterday I got about 4 hours of GLORIOUS seat time...

I started moving bucked logs onto my new bucking area, partially to clean up the wood pile and make it look better, partly to move it out of the next fence line area, partly just for fun. I got the biggest and best logs moved for the most part and it looks like this will work.

I knew rain was coming about 3pm so I decided to go do something fun with the tractor. I have a swampy mess that develops in the winter because one pond is spring and runoff fed, with no outlet, and it is slightly higher elevation that the big pond. So there is an area between them where the overflow runs and the ducks make a big mess in the mud. Last year it was completely un-mowable until late June.

The wife and I discussed making a false stream bed that would look better, and would also direct this "runoff". It would also make the area mowable and I would not have weird swampy tall grass mess all spring.

Well, somehow this short term drought we've had totally dried it out, and with a big rain coming I knew it would be a mess again by Monday.

So I dropped the grapple, picked up the bucket, dropped the RatchetRake and started digging a stream bed with the cutting edge of the bucket. I also had to in the process cut a section of tractor road next to the small pond and alongside the big metal shed eventually my Hay, attachments, and tractor will use.

I also moved most of the excavated dirt up closer to the area I'm working on my my wife's garden area so I could use it to build up terraces for raised beds.

I only got a couple pics thus far. One of the tractor road and a couple of the streambed I'm cutting. I will line it with rocks and make sure there is a spot with enough rocks I can drive the tractor across when I am all done.

About 3:30 it started to rain and I had standing water at least in my stream bed. Both the exit and the actual beginning are not fully cut yet so I was able to work with dry dirt yesterday.

I will be intrigued how it will handle the rain for the next 24+ hours which is predicted.

It was an awesome day!

Today I plan to finally service my tractor, in the car port ot of the rain, while I smoke ribs and chicken for dinner.

Be well all,
David

Attachments

• 2012-04-21 14.27.10.jpg
    2012-04-21 14.27.10.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 268
  • 2012-04-21 14.26.43.jpg
    2012-04-21 14.26.43.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 2012-04-21 14.27.24.jpg
    2012-04-21 14.27.24.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 343