TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,942  
5 hours, grading gravel, moving topsoil, and bending landscape rake.

Why did it take you 5 hours to bend your rake. I could have done that in about 2 minutes :laughing:

I spent most of the afternoon removing invasive honeysuckle. It is easy to see right now with those yellow flowers. If I couldn't pull them by hand I used the logging winch.

Attachments

• HoneySuckle.JPG
    HoneySuckle.JPG
    855.7 KB · Views: 221
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,943  
Only took 30secs to bend it. I was pushing up a pile of topsoil and forgot it was back there. Dove it into the ground and bent the cross arm 4". Yikes.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,944  
Did somebody mention bending a landscape rake :). I also broke my hydraulic top link at the same time :(. I fixed the top link. Still tearing the rake down. It took me about .5 seconds to break all of it.

image-1291208323.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,945  
I removed the mower deck from my JD LX266 only to discover it may be destroyed, and there are only 212 hours on the mower!

Then I fired up the Kioti. I ended up with ~3 hours. I put the rotary cutter on and hogged some of my 'soon to be pasture" I managed to wade carefully into the worst stretches, places where the thorny Hawthorne and other such undesirable vegetation were already over 3-4 feet tall! I also put the ratchet rake back on the bucket so I could smooth out spots of piled dirt etc.

I hogged well over an acre, but it was slow going to avoid stumps and stop to pick up large chunks of debris, etc...

Then I moved the cutter to a new spot up near the pasture. Eventually it will go in the "barn". But for now I moved it away from the house so I can work early in the morning without waking anyone.

I stopped for lunch about 2pm, and then I hooked up the stump grinder. I ground a few of the accursed pawlonia stumps and fragments of root that are spawing new irritating stalks. I ground a small old peach stump for my neighbor (Looks like he will be selling that Ford 420 soon!).

Then I worked a little with the RR to level a spot where I plan to build the motorcycle shed and a lean-to for equipment, and maybe a storage shed for tack and horse feed.

After that I dropped the bucket/ratchet rake and picked up the grapple!

Tomorrow I will hit at least one of my burn piles, and clear some debris so I can hog some more. I think I am actually doing better at getting the land cleared than I thought. I hope this weekend to expand the temporary pasture a bit also.

But much of tomorrow will be spend finishing the "chikn run" on the front of the "Chikn Shak"...

I ended the day somewhere over 80 hours on the meter, and it had just hit 77 when I started.

Be well all!

David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,946  
But much of tomorrow will be spend finishing the "chikn run" on the front of the "Chikn Shak"...

Be well all!

David

We are finishing the final touches on the chicken palace here. Daughter wanted chickens, so we now have chickens. Bought 6 chicks a few weeks ago, dog sampled one of them. Now we have 5 left. Thought we bought all hens, turns out we have only two hens. Once the Coop is done we will go buy some older hens to add to the mix.

Did some painting on it today. Should be able to finish it up tomorrow. Its about 10 ft by 8 ft.

No time for playing on tractor.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA95IMAG0046.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0046.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 100MEDIA95IMAG0047.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0047.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 100MEDIA95IMAG0048.jpg
    100MEDIA95IMAG0048.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 181
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,947  
Our new JD 1026R with loader, a box blade and spike harrow was delivered today!

It had 1.3 hours on the meter when we received it; it's got 2.7 tonight. I now get why folks love these things!

Spent about 20 minutes just driving around, used the loader to fill about 100' of trench my friend dug with his TYM and backhoe for irrigation piping, then spent about an hour using the box blade (with the cutters set as deep as possible) to turn the soil and knock down weeds. I know the box blade might not be the ideal implement for that; but, it's what was in the budget for right now - based on what I've read here, I think I can do most of what I need to do with the box blade and harrow.

So far, so good - no close calls; I even managed to keep it out of the trench I was filling.

Clay Jackson

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,948  
We are finishing the final touches on the chicken palace here. Daughter wanted chickens, so we now have chickens. Bought 6 chicks a few weeks ago, dog sampled one of them. Now we have 5 left. Thought we bought all hens, turns out we have only two hens. Once the Coop is done we will go buy some older hens to add to the mix.

Did some painting on it today. Should be able to finish it up tomorrow. Its about 10 ft by 8 ft.

Chicken Palace is right! That thing is a Beauty! Makes my old converted woodshed, using scrap lumber and misc. look like... I'm hoping the outside run makes it look better long run. I'm building a pen 6' high with sides 21.5', 10' at the far end and wide as the shak at the other.

We are down to 3 guineas, 5 ducks, 8 hens (6 red, 1 leghorn, and 1 english game) in the "shak". We are raising the next generation on the porch, we have 6 white w/spots hens from TSC plus 2 Bantams (1 for sure is a rooster) in the Chikn Cage (pic 3) they are ~9.5 weeks old and theymove into the shak as soon as the outside pen is finished. In the old converted babygate pen (no pic, too redneck) we have 6 Rhode Is red hens and a female Muscovy duckling (She is the princess and everyone is in LOVE with her, and can't wait for her to mate with the muscovy drake).

In a big bucket atop the stairs to the attic in the "hot spot" we have 6 1.5 week old guinea keets we hatched in our incubator. And in the incubator we have 22 guinea eggs that are slated to hatch June 11-13 (we think 18-19 are fertile).

3 roosters and 2 hens sounds like a disaster. too many roosters. What kind of chickens did you get? I "might" be interested in buying one of your roosters...

Be well my friend, we need to get together soon... Family BBQ or something...

David

Attachments

• 2012-04-17 18.57.09.jpg
    2012-04-17 18.57.09.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 2012-04-17 18.57.27.jpg
    2012-04-17 18.57.27.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 2012-04-16 07.46.43.jpg
    2012-04-16 07.46.43.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 209
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,949  
Our new JD 1026R with loader, a box blade and spike harrow was delivered today!

It had 1.3 hours on the meter when we received it; it's got 2.7 tonight. I now get why folks love these things! Clay Jackson

That is usually the first lesson learned. Welcome to TBN

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,950  
lstinthot said:

Very Nice! Make sure you protect from predators other than you dog. We have had issues with weasels, and raccoons.