TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,971  
Last night I got about 45 min on the little JD LX266 with the 4' York rake on the pasture and I hauled a couple hay bales from the "barn" to the patio where the girls load the trailer to feed the horses...

I'm hoping for some REAL seat-time tonight, and I'm taking tomorrow off to work on the property, so I will definately get some seat time tomorrow (FINALLY!)...

Be well.
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,972  
I got less than an hour last night, but the meter rolled, so I'm gonna call it an hour.

I popped 2 steel clothesline posts (set in concrete) outta the ground because we won't use then where they were, ad I plan to build a play structure in that area so I needed the space.

I also decided to try the "ROOT" function of my "root grapple" and attacked some of the Pawlonia rootsa that are suckering like mad, even after grinding the stumps in some cases. The first was a ROARING success as I dug the teeth in, closed the grapple, and pulled like a 11 foot section of root (about 4-5" at its biggest portion) right out of the ground. WOO HOO!

The next one I tried was a thicker root, and I got a couple large chunks of it, but I also dug holes in the driveway with the rear tires.

Then I had my first failure, the next stump the roots were too deep and all I did was dig holes in the dirt and driveway.

The last one was down by the house, it is the very first stump I ever ground (there was video of it when we did it, my dealer shot it). I've since been grinding the roots, and hve spent more time on this one than ANY other stump. well there is a 7-9" root running along the driveway and it is suckering, so I dug in grabbed it and then lifted the tractor rears right off the ground!!!!! That root said "Can't Make Me Move"! I'm going to grind it into sections and try again.

It sure was fun!

David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,973  
Chicken Palace is right! That thing is a Beauty! Makes my old converted woodshed, using scrap lumber and misc. look like... I'm hoping the outside run makes it look better long run. I'm building a pen 6' high with sides 21.5', 10' at the far end and wide as the shak at the other.

We are down to 3 guineas, 5 ducks, 8 hens (6 red, 1 leghorn, and 1 english game) in the "shak". We are raising the next generation on the porch, we have 6 white w/spots hens from TSC plus 2 Bantams (1 for sure is a rooster) in the Chikn Cage (pic 3) they are ~9.5 weeks old and theymove into the shak as soon as the outside pen is finished. In the old converted babygate pen (no pic, too redneck) we have 6 Rhode Is red hens and a female Muscovy duckling (She is the princess and everyone is in LOVE with her, and can't wait for her to mate with the muscovy drake).

In a big bucket atop the stairs to the attic in the "hot spot" we have 6 1.5 week old guinea keets we hatched in our incubator. And in the incubator we have 22 guinea eggs that are slated to hatch June 11-13 (we think 18-19 are fertile).

3 roosters and 2 hens sounds like a disaster. too many roosters. What kind of chickens did you get? I "might" be interested in buying one of your roosters...

Be well my friend, we need to get together soon... Family BBQ or something...

David

We got Leg Horns. In the market for some other brands, will most likely pick some up this weekend. The roosters got into it pretty bad a week or so ago. One lost and eye, and now that we nursed it back, it comes up to us and expects to be picked up. He is pretty cool now. Told Daughter she needs to decide which ones she is getting rid of, her response was none. We will see how they do. Lately they have been good.

Did some tilling in the garden and spreading some top soil in the front yard. Moved old Fiat Spider from one side of the house to the other for its new resting place. Wife had top down grovin' to the oldies as I pulled her with the tractor.

Small jobs here and there with the tractor. Will have to get back on the dirt bike trails, looks like the kids are finally taking an interest in riding.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,974  
Told Daughter she needs to decide which ones she is getting rid of, her response was none. We will see how they do. Lately they have been good.

Mike,

We have ONE rooster, he is a Bantam all white like a leghorn, and he has been handled a lot by my daughters so he is friendly still, but he is only 10-11weeks old.

We might be willing to adopt any rooster you are getting rid of, especially the one-eyed one. We seem to be the home for hurt birds... A 1-winged duck, a chicken with dislocated hip (one leg) baby guineas with "swimmer" defect (their legs/hips are messed up), etc...

Have a great weekend.
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,975  
I took a tree down on Saturday, then cut up all branches earlier this week, sorting out some for firewood and the rest just tossed into a brush pile. The pile was 6 feet high, and 12x12 feet, most of it stuff I had just lopped off. I needed to get it off the lawn so I could mow. I borrowed the neighbor's ATV and double-wide snowmobile trailer. We pulled out the ramp and I threw a 4x7x1/2 sheet of plywood down on top of the ramp. Took my BX out and got behind the pile and just pushed the whole darn thing onto the trailer all at once. We only lost a handful of branches. After driving over to the dump spot (about 60 yards away, but an interesting path to maneuver) we put the plywood at the front of the trailer and used a tow strap to just pull the whole load off by hand in a few seconds.

I love it when you can take a 3 hour manual labor job and finish it up in like 10 minutes. The old FarmHand brand used to call it Mechanized Muscle. Got to use my bucket and drive the ATV. It wasn't quite enough seat time though, so I went ahead and mowed the lawn.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,976  
I spent all day loading the truck and trailer with a massive load of scrap metal. This won't be the last, but I managed to clear up a couple eyesores.

I did use the tractor to load the clotheline poles I popped out the other day. And my Bab wanted a ride on the tractor when she adn I were finished feeding horses, so I fired it up and she sat in my lap. I decided for excitement I'd push over a 3-4" tree (nusiance species) that was dangerously leaning and looking to fall across the driveway. Just popped it like a small stick and grappled it up and hauled it to the burn pile.
Then we parked the tractor and went home.

I only got a small amount of seat time today... Tomorrow I have the middle and baby daughters, the oldest and her Mom are going to the Homeschool conference in Richmond (I needed to feed the animals, and we forgot to reserve our favorite hotel and it was full so it no longer made sense for it to be a family mini-vacation...).

We shall see what happens tomorrow!

David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,977  
Moved some compost piles to the garden spot and tilled the garden again. Ready to get some more plants in the ground.

First year garden in this area and the stuff planted first is not looking too strong. Hopefully the extra compost in the second part will make it produce better.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,978  
Got a couple hours on the tractor and the riding mower today. Got some more rocks picked up and ground raked. Grabbed the finish mower and did most of the yard then finished with the rider.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,979  
Yesterday while Mom and olderst aughter were at the Home School convention in Richmond, The baby and I mowed together (Middle sister drove the STX38 until 1st the belt popped off and 2nd the tractor would not keep running). When baby went dow for a nap I got seat time in the "Big Ractor" and I dropped the grapple, got the bucket and RR and groomed the easement from the pavement to my gate, and groomed my drive to the Wye. Then Using first the RR and then the bare bucket, I widened the tractor road between the "barn" and the duck pond (as suggested here in another thread).

When she woke up, wemowed some more and she helped me park the Kioti in the barn for it's first ever night "under cover".

Then she helped me feed the horses, which entails a ride in the dump trailer pulled by the mower up and down the hill to the pasture.

All-in-all we got 2-3 hours on the Kioti and 2+ hours on the LX266 mower.

Then she got a bubble bath!

A good day was had by all!

Be well,
David

Attachments

• 2012-06-09 09.43.44.jpg
    2012-06-09 09.43.44.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 2012-06-09 19.12.14.jpg
    2012-06-09 19.12.14.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 2012-06-09 19.12.32.jpg
    2012-06-09 19.12.32.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 2012-06-09 19.14.02.jpg
    2012-06-09 19.14.02.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 2012-06-09 19.21.15.jpg
    2012-06-09 19.21.15.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 2012-06-09 19.13.50.jpg
    2012-06-09 19.13.50.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 200
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #1,980  
David, it's a good thing I didn't drive out from Minnesota last fall. I would have had to take her back with me. She's a keeper!:thumbsup: