TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,091  
I plan to side the shed with Oak as well. Question is, do I let it grey naturally or seal it with an outdoor stain?

I think something as nice as that should get some preservative stain to help protect it

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,093  
I will brave the heat today - a humid 96 - to do some bush hogging I've been putting off. The stupid weeds keep growing, so you just have to finally go after them, heat or no.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,094  
I am clearing a lot with lots of rocks. This one was too big to move so I buried it.

Attachments

• DSCF1391.JPG
    DSCF1391.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF1392.JPG
    DSCF1392.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF1393.JPG
    DSCF1393.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF1395.JPG
    DSCF1395.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 184
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,095  
I have my own wood shop so I have been milling it all down myself. Here is a link to the post I started on the project. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/252007-new-implement-shed.html

Thanks for the advise on stain or not.

I know all have advised you to use stain...I would say to use transparent stain if you must...if you use a solid stain you are in for continuing maintenance and restaining over the years....I once asked a painter about all of the old tenant farmer houses here in the South all gray and how they are still standing after 100 yrs. or more...He said , they never painted the houses...wood has enzymes and once you apply a solid stain or paint to the surface the enzymes react with it and moisture gets behind the paint or stain and rot occurs....when nothing is applied the wood just weathers and does not rot....I have found that to be true on the back of one of my barns...it was sided with t-111 and that was over 20 yrs. ago....not painted or stained and it is a nice dark gray right now...the other sides that were stained with solid stain have had to be stained many times since then....Just for what it's worth.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,096  
well i put an hour on the clock shredding this morning.still have a good bit todo.it was good to get out an shredd.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,097  
I know all have advised you to use stain...I would say to use transparent stain if you must...if you use a solid stain you are in for continuing maintenance and restaining over the years....I once asked a painter about all of the old tenant farmer houses here in the South all gray and how they are still standing after 100 yrs. or more...He said , they never painted the houses...wood has enzymes and once you apply a solid stain or paint to the surface the enzymes react with it and moisture gets behind the paint or stain and rot occurs....when nothing is applied the wood just weathers and does not rot....I have found that to be true on the back of one of my barns...it was sided with t-111 and that was over 20 yrs. ago....not painted or stained and it is a nice dark gray right now...the other sides that were stained with solid stain have had to be stained many times since then....Just for what it's worth.

Good to know there is always some science that can ***** logic

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,098  

Good to know there is always some science that can ***** logic

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,099  
Oh that is easy. One you are trying to get the back fill up to cover that black waterproofing they stuck all over your foundation and Two more importantly you are doing it to get one thing off your "Honey Do" list before she adds two more things to it.

You are close except I am the one who put the foundation coating on.:laughing:
My wife and I built this house together. Pretty much just her and I. We did everything except the foundation and chimney. We started in the spring of 2000. The house was basically weather tight by christmas 2000. We moved into the unfinished basement with a sink, hot plate, microwave, bed, and kitchen table in Aug of 2001. We slowly moved up stairs as we finished each room. We were finally done in 2006 -..... except this wall. There was always a vague plan for some kind of wall. I put off finalizing it for a long time. I couldn't put it off any longer. :)
I threw in a picture of my wife hard at work back nailing plywood sheathing in july of 2000.

Today I did some mowing and worked on the wall a little more.

Attachments

• BackWall10.JPG
    BackWall10.JPG
    612.4 KB · Views: 181
  • BackWall8.JPG
    BackWall8.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 215
  • BackWall9.JPG
    BackWall9.JPG
    617.6 KB · Views: 184
  • PatNailing.jpg
    PatNailing.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 198
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,100  
I am clearing a lot with lots of rocks. This one was too big to move so I buried it.

Nice work. :thumbsup:
If I tryed doing that up here I would just run into bigger rocks and would never get anything buried.