TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,281  
Piston said:
I am very interested in those turbo saws. I haven't found a lot of info on them aside from their website. Are there any good threads on here that anyone knows of that I may have missed? I'd like to see on in action.

Bought one last spring but haven't got to use it much, but it will cut trees flush with the ground like the company's video shows. I was using it on a tractor with a hand clutch, don't think a gear tractor with a foot clutch would work very well. The saw was one reason I bought a hydro tractor with 50 pto hp, wouldn't want much less hp. Now that it is fall l plan on getting after some overgrown pastures. Still trying to decide which fel grapple to get, have done a search on grapples and am still not sure but am leaning towards a narrower one than originally planned. Just don't know anybody around me that has one to try out.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,282  
If you were anywhere near me I would be happy to let you try out my 64" WR Long grapple! I think you would quickly see that with a 50hp tractor there is no need to have to save 100lbs on the narrower grapple. I was almost convinced in a 48" grapple when I was shopping by reading so many of island tractors posts, but happily I stuck with my gut instinct and went with what I thought was best for my situation. Boy I'm glad I did!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,283  
I'm gonna agree with Piston.

I've got a 50hp tractor, and a 72" WRLong root grapple. I like it wider

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,284  
I'm gonna agree with Piston.

I've got a 50hp tractor, and a 72" WRLong root grapple. I like it wider especially when I am moving 40+ foot logs like I did just the other day. I love my grapple.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,285  
The fact that you mention the possibility tells me that from looking at it close up you know that you have made his situation worse. The sooner you get square with him the better.

All worked out well. We only got about an inch or so of rain last night from Sandy, but so far so good, he had no problems. I am all for the "Good Neighbor" policy.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,286  
RD, thanks for the instructions and the very informative photos. I appreciate it.

Gary, if this was forest and I'm expanding a field.....what is left, mud? I can cut the stumps down to ground level myself, then plant clover throughout. Once it's ground level I could mow right over the former stumps..... My cousin took about 100 pines down from in front of his housesite to expand the view. It took about 2 years for the 6" stumps to rot/bush hog away. What am I missing?
Your stumps must rot much faster than they do in Arkansas, Texas and Lousiana. Hardwood rots faster than pine but even oak takes more than 2 years for a stump to rot. Smaller trees would decompose faster than larger ones for sure but a couple years ago, I cut off some 6-8" diameter pines in the middle of a road crossing on a creek. They were just as solid as when they were cut this past summer. I dug them out with my backhoe. The roots were still moist and green after 2 years. I dug out a cedar that was so old it had moss growing on it and it was still rock solid.
There is a chemical "stump rot" that will make them decompose fairly quickly. I dont know what is in it but likely it is a strong alkalai.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,287  
Did some end of the season roadside mowing this morning.

Attachments

• P1060405.JPG
    P1060405.JPG
    765.2 KB · Views: 245
  • P1060391.JPG
    P1060391.JPG
    749.8 KB · Views: 217
  • P1060395.JPG
    P1060395.JPG
    765.1 KB · Views: 199
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,288  
I too tried to get caught up with my brush hogging. With the drought this summer - my mowing got out of sequence, and the last time we only partially mowed.

A few weeks back, I got most of our trees pruned, so I was able to mow under the trees - first time in about three years.

Felt good to get things all slicked up!

image-3623785927.jpg

You can see my brush pile in the distance. Gonna be a big big wienie roast :)

Attachments

• image-588812142.jpg
    image-588812142.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 170
  • image-2698959665.jpg
    image-2698959665.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 177
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,289  
How bout about 4 hours of seat time and skid 2 cords of wood. Borrowed a farmi winch and went and started skidding trees I had already cut and stacked in piles on Saturday with the T190. Just going back for my last turn and I slid off my path. The bucket just sank in the ground to push out. So I hooked the winch to a tree and pulled me right out. i think I might buy a winch now, really liked it.

Attachments

• image-2853027354.jpg
    image-2853027354.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 237