TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,471  
This was from the storm the other day, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of my dad doing "Extreme snow plowing". He uses the plow for the initial clearing, then switches to the bucket and climbs up the bank to push the snow back. It seems to work pretty well and so far he hasn't "needed" a snowblower.

tractorwinter.jpg

Yesterday I used my box blade to level the new gate opening into my yard. The gate is homemade, wooden, and 14' across. I think it "should" be perfect for my needs and I can't wait to get some gravel down on it.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,472  
This was from the storm the other day, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of my dad doing "Extreme snow plowing". He uses the plow for the initial clearing, then switches to the bucket and climbs up the bank to push the snow back. It seems to work pretty well and so far he hasn't "needed" a snowblower.

View attachment 309363

:thumbsup: That's the way to Get er Done!!! Is his seat belt fastened??

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,473  
Disked up about 10 acres of pasture for my Brother in Law after he finished spreading some fertilizer. You can see him on his NH way in the back ground pulling a drag over the area to smooth it out. We have been disking and dragging over sections of the pasture each year to smooth out the humps and holes a bit. This one is terraced from years previously when it must have been farmed by previous owners. I had to carry the disk to keep it from cutting too deep. It took me 2 1/2 hours running in Mid range 4th gear at 1500 RPM estimated speed about 6 mph. That was about the limit of speed due to the rough ground. Last week I disked up about the same amount in another section of pasture. So far I have burned about 3/8th of a tank of fuel (by gauge)on about 15 acres of pasture disking and working up the gardens with the disk.

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 284
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,474  
Thank you for the nice video of the chisel plowing. Would it be help to run a sub-soiler through that ground? I don't know your soil type.
We did a 20 acre hayfild last year and decided to rip down 12" to 14" to loosen things up. It really pulled hard.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,475  
Thank you for the nice video of the chisel plowing. Would it be help to run a sub-soiler through that ground? I don't know your soil type.
We did a 20 acre hayfild last year and decided to rip down 12" to 14" to loosen things up. It really pulled hard.

Thanks. The ground seems to drain pretty well. Eventhough we had received quite a bit of recent rain, the field was not muddy (though there were a few soft spots). I will see how the afalfa does this season and will consider running a subsoiler through the field at the end of the season. The field has not really had much traffic over it up until the last few years. And, even then, I cut some hay off it once a few years back and then have only bushhogged about 3 times a year for the last 2 years. Thanks for the recommend though. I will indeed consider it!
Hawk

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,476  
Thanks. The ground seems to drain pretty well. Eventhough we had received quite a bit of recent rain, the field was not muddy (though there were a few soft spots). I will see how the afalfa does this season and will consider running a subsoiler through the field at the end of the season. The field has not really had much traffic over it up until the last few years. And, even then, I cut some hay off it once a few years back and then have only bushhogged about 3 times a year for the last 2 years. Thanks for the recommend though. I will indeed consider it!
Hawk
I thought alfalfa lasted five years or so between plantings?

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,477  
This'll will be the first time I have dealt with alfalfa and the first year it has been planted in this field. I'll see how it goes.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,478  
I remember when my dad had alfalfa and we had to plow it up. Our "big" tractor was a Case 730 and pulled a 4-14 plow almost anywhere. The alfalfa was probably 5 years old, and to plow it up we had the model A JD chained up front and it was tough enough that both tractors paid attention. Good luck!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,479  
Got in about another two hours on saturday afternoon running the disc over the field. Well, I shared some of that time with my Pop(I was behind the camera...). I will more than likely run the disk over it again before I put down the seed. It rained again today, so it'll probably be a week or two before I get back out there.

John Deere 5403 and Bushhog 12' Disk Harrow - YouTube

Hawk

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #2,480  
Oh yeah, seatbelt fastened, hardhat on in case of falling branches. As dangerous as it looks, its a pretty effective way to push back the snowbanks! We don't get too many of those down in VA though..... ah, I miss New England winters :)