TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,431  
Moved a claw foot tub up to the new house m

photo_zps9e564107.png

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,432  
Today I had to run a shallow ditch for some water pipe for the lawn sprinkler system. I have a ripper that attaches to the three point hitch. Using that with my L4240 made the ditch digging both quick and fun. With that making me feel good, I thought I would use the ripper to pull up a few fairly good sized rocks in my back yard. The soil is still moist and I thought it would be a piece of cake. For the first few rocks, it was. I had the tractor in low range, two wheel drive. The tractor never lugged down, even on the last rock. However, the last rock won. I guess I'll re-weld (I only gas-weld) and put a stiffener on the back side. And, in the future, I guess I should use the FEL to dig the rocks out.
I would take that ripper to a welding shop, remove that thin wall square tubing, replace with some 1/4" thick tubing and have them weld it up good with Full penetration weld on all 4 sides. OEM was poorly welded on the top with a concaved bead, sides don't look to have been welded at all. You should have broken the shank before breaking that weld.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,433  
Spent 4 hours on the tractor today bush hogging. tried out the new 6ft befco i picked up. blades need to be sharpened. and it does burn more fuel than the finish mower

hope everyone is having a safe memorial day weekend

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,434  
New foreman on the job today was really dogging me :mad:, all he did was bark out orders all day ;)
20140524_152858[1].jpg

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,435  
"I would take that ripper to a welding shop, remove that thin wall square tubing, replace with some 1/4" thick tubing and have them weld it up good with Full penetration weld on all 4 sides."

Gary, that is a good suggestion. Thank you. I ended up taking it to a welding shop and asked that it be re-welded and a rib put on the back. Instead, he put a 3/8" gusset on the front. He said if it breaks he will fix it for free and refund my money. Can't beat that.

Also, I painted it "rattle-can orange", which should make it stronger. :)

Attachments

• Ripper Gusset 1.JPG
    Ripper Gusset 1.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Ripper Gusset 2.JPG
    Ripper Gusset 2.JPG
    666.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Ripper Gusset 3.JPG
    Ripper Gusset 3.JPG
    703.9 KB · Views: 186
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,437  
The picture of your dog didn't work, try again. :D