TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,832  
Got a little time in two of my favorites seats yesterday. I loaded a couple of yards of aged horse manure from my pile and then ran to the local nursery and picked up about six yards of composted leaves for a friend of mine who is constructing a raised garden in her back yard.

Loading Manure 022.JPGLoading Manure 012.JPGLoading Manure 008.JPGLoading Manure 010.JPG

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,833  
when one lives by oneself it's a bit hard to post action shots of yourself; safely any way...
So the best I could get this past week was a little time moving my new phd back to the barn where a friend will help me put it on tomorrow. Going to be my orchard tree planter. First ten trees waiting to go, six apple and four pear.
Need to go find some crab-apple trees in the next few months to go with the apples for pollination.
Once I start planting, I'll take more pictures. Still have to lay it out; will do that tomorrow based on so many feet off the fencing. I have room for a lot more trees than I'm going to plant; we'll see how this goes for a few years. Hope to have fruit in three years based on the ball size of the trees I got.

Need to find a good source for balled peach trees. So far I've only seen places in Georgia and while I suppose I could take my truck and trailer that far, trying to find something closer to home. Mail order stuff is all bare roots; I'll be in a nursing home before I get fruit from them.

and while I surely did not get any seat time on that combine, I did get a nice ride behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    929.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    860.9 KB · Views: 194
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,834  
Bought a new 5' box blade from the TSC yesterday. Put it through the ringer yesterday and today, and it worked wonderfully behind the ol' 8N. Tore up about a quarter mile of dirt drive withe the rippers and smoothed it all back out very nicely. 5' is definitely at the upper range of this tractor, but only when trying to go very agressive with it, otherwise it pulled a full load of dirt behind it well. Bought this house about a year ago and the driveway was severely neglected for probably the last decade. Tire ruts were deeper than the sides of the ditch so water ran down the driveway instead of off and into the ditch. Dug a ditch back in front of the blueberry bushes and pulled the dirt back up the drive where it came from. Cut down the sides of the drive so water could run off into the ditch instead of down the drive creating large ruts and wash outs. All in all I am very pleased with the county line box blade behind the ford and it shall serve me well for years to come. Here's some pics of the ten hours of seat time on the ol girl this weekend.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,835  
when one lives by oneself it's a bit hard to post action shots of yourself; safely any way... So the best I could get this past week was a little time moving my new phd back to the barn where a friend will help me put it on tomorrow. Going to be my orchard tree planter. First ten trees waiting to go, six apple and four pear. Need to go find some crab-apple trees in the next few months to go with the apples for pollination. Once I start planting, I'll take more pictures. Still have to lay it out; will do that tomorrow based on so many feet off the fencing. I have room for a lot more trees than I'm going to plant; we'll see how this goes for a few years. Hope to have fruit in three years based on the ball size of the trees I got. Need to find a good source for balled peach trees. So far I've only seen places in Georgia and while I suppose I could take my truck and trailer that far, trying to find something closer to home. Mail order stuff is all bare roots; I'll be in a nursing home before I get fruit from them. and while I surely did not get any seat time on that combine, I did get a nice ride behind it.

Daugen;

Like your parking stand for the PHD. Did that come with it from LP or did you build it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,836  
Drew, are you going to run water lines by your trees? I'm going to plant some grapevines, and I want to lay the water line down first, then put in the vines and arbor. I'm planning on a faucet every three vines with soaker hoses around each vine.

Larro

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,837  
Larro, if you're going to that trouble why not go ahead and bury some drip tube for your grapes. You can then get a DC powered (2 9 volt Batteries) irrigation controller and solenoid valve hooked to the drip line. You then connect one faucet to your valve and viola, you have an automated irrigation system. The controller should let you water the grapes 3 or four times a day rather than soaking them once or twice a week. Your grape vines will be healthier and produce more. It really isn't that expensive or hard to do.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,838  
Larro, if you're going to that trouble why not go ahead and bury some drip tube for your grapes. You can then get a DC powered (2 9 volt Batteries) irrigation controller and solenoid valve hooked to the drip line. You then connect one faucet to your valve and viola, you have an automated irrigation system. The controller should let you water the grapes 3 or four times a day rather than soaking them once or twice a week. Your grape vines will be healthier and produce more. It really isn't that expensive or hard to do.

I've thought about that as well. My BIL works the pro desk at Lowe's, so I can get a little break on the hardware. I have about 18 vines now, and I'm hoping to sprout about that many more this year. The seeds are from some vines that are 75 years old. The man assured me they were seedlings, so the sprouts would be the same as the grapes they came from. Time will tell.

My overall plan is to run the water line between two rows of vines, with faucets going off in each direction. I had a lot of soaker hoses with leaks, so I cut them in 4 foot lengths to use with the grape vines. I was going to just turn them on a trickle and leave it unless we got lots of rain. With my sandy soil, it is hard to get too much water.

Larro

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,839  
the phd stand was the mandatory optional extra...works ok but that thing is still difficult to put on. Sure worked nice once it was on.
and yes, I'm going to use my subsoiler to run one inch water pipe out to the orchard, if only because I have six hundred feet of it.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #3,840  
I've thought about that as well. My BIL works the pro desk at Lowe's, so I can get a little break on the hardware. I have about 18 vines now, and I'm hoping to sprout about that many more this year. The seeds are from some vines that are 75 years old. The man assured me they were seedlings, so the sprouts would be the same as the grapes they came from. Time will tell.

My overall plan is to run the water line between two rows of vines, with faucets going off in each direction. I had a lot of soaker hoses with leaks, so I cut them in 4 foot lengths to use with the grape vines. I was going to just turn them on a trickle and leave it unless we got lots of rain. With my sandy soil, it is hard to get too much water.

Larro

To bad we're not closer. I have more than enough drip tube left over from the 8,000 row feet I installed this fall for my Elderberry orchard expansion. The main reason to frequently water a little bit is to maintain a somewhat constant moisture level in the soil. That makes for healthier, more productive plants. What's your spacing between plants?