TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #401  
Oh I forgot - Bush hoged a small but steep 1 acre field with my self contained mower behind my 4-wheeler.

gg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #402  
Raked 25 acres. Ready to bale.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #403  
Took advantage of the present dry spell to have some trees cut down and started splitting the logs with the JD 3520.

Nice wood Phil. I like your trailer too. It looks like one round cut from the tree trunk is about 6" thick. Perhaps it would make a good tabletop if it won't split and crack too much.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #404  
Trying to get ready for the opener of our NYS preserve season;Sept.1,brush-hogging walking trails,around food plot edges,hedge-row edges ,plus getting ready for fall food plots........about four hours a day.I have waited this long for a couple reasons,first if I do it later in the summer it only has to be done one time,the second reason is to let the young wild life mature in enough to move out of the way of equiptment.Even so I have jumped up two white-tail fawns........don't want to hit them for sure.Lots of cotton-tail rabbits this year too_Our food plots...field corn..soybeans are doing great,the sun-flowers are only doing ok.I am going to plant winter rye in the early fall and possibly some turnip.Lots of work but enjoyable.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #405  
Moved some wood, which has been seasoning, into the wood shed. The shed is starting to get full. Then I pulled a couple wind throws out of a woods road and up to the fire wood log pile to work up later.

Attachments

• P1010704.JPG
    P1010704.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 196
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #406  
It looks like one round cut from the tree trunk is about 6" thick. Perhaps it would make a good tabletop if it won't split and crack too much.
Looks very nice just after being cut, but I wouldn't know how to cure and preserve it. Afraid as you say it would split and bend if left to itself. Besides it's mighty heavy (the tallest tree was 1.80 meter in diametre at the foot). So I'm afraid the idea we also had is going to be abandonned (sad!).

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #407  
rototilled the back yard to reseed. dumped 8 trailer loads of semi composted manure to mix in. Horses may be a lot of work, but their exhaust is good for the land.;)

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #408  
Moved some gravel. Also made some cement pads. Filled the bucket with gravel, took it over to the cement mixer and positioned it just the right height to shovel it into the mixer. Helped save the back a bit. :thumbsup:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #409  
When the water in the cell walls evaporates the cells shrink. They shrink more at right angles to the grain than in the direction of the grain. If you exchange the water in the cells for something that doesn't evaporate but instead, cures, then your wood is much less likely to split or warp.

I have been studying on this problem and have read where some folks are soaking their wood in alcohol which mixes with water in any ratio (miscibility) but don't know how that alone would help. If after the alcohol soak you soaked the wood in an oil like tung oil or other wood worker's choice penetrating oil (miscibility of the alcohol and oil required) the end result would be replacing the water of the wood fibers/cells with a wood preserving oil. That should stop the shrinkage (and the attendant splitting and warping.) Acetone or other solvents miscible with both water and the epoxy (or oil or other preservative) could be used as well.

I'm also investigating means of getting a thin viscosity epoxy exchanged with the water in the wood. Probably something like the epoxy used in the West system of epoxy saturation which is normally used with dry wood, hence the need to find a multi-step (at least two) process to get the epoxy swapped out for the water in the wood before it hardens.

Pat