TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,043  
I graded the dead end dirt road I live on. Put on the grader blade, pulled all the crushed granite to the middle of the road, and went back over the just graded area twice more to cut all the washboard out. Went and got the box blade and worked the rock back out to about a foot from the road edge. Tipped the bb way back to level off and smooth out. Hung a heavy 18 ft chain onto the bb, raised it high enough to keep it off the road, then drove around a few laps with the chain dragging. Looks pretty good!

Last edited:
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,044  
From a few weeks ago:

From today:

Taken from simular vantage points.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,045  
Any chance you'd be willing to shoot some video of that beast in action?

How big of a tree can you tear out with it?

This is a 100 hp 20k lb dozer. Mine is 70 hp 15k lb. I could do the job he is showing but some of my bites might be smaller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXh_HwJaXT8

There are a lot of variables in how big a tree. Softwood are pretty easy with their shallow root system. Something with a big tap root is tougher. One tree with plenty of room to work around it that you can push over then work on the stump is way different from a road swath cut full of short stumps. But it is the kind of job a dozer is good at because of all the traction.

Diesel your place looks good with all that mowing in the last couple weeks !!!

gg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,046  
Diesel your place looks good with all that mowing in the last couple weeks !!!

gg

Thanks... just over 20 hours per the hour meter on the tractor. I might be getting close to half done with that section, behind the house is another area as big with many more locust saplings to deal with...

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,047  
Thanks... just over 20 hours per the hour meter on the tractor. I might be getting close to half done with that section, behind the house is another area as big with many more locust saplings to deal with...

Locust especially black locust is very hard. If you could leave the saplings then you'd have a good supply of fence post in a few years. Cut while the saps down and they'll last a couple of generations. Or so I've been told.

Looking good. Nice views.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,048  
Locust is excellent firewood too. Almost as hot as coal

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,049  
There are locust everywhere... I always skid in any downed ones I come across, for both post and firewood. I am trying to reclaim some pasture and hay fields, and other areas with nice stands of locust I am letting mature to post size.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,050  
Locust is excellent firewood too. Almost as hot as coal
Yeah I think the harder the wood the better the burn. I suppose there are exceptions to this such as some exotic woods but...