TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,831  
Christmas lights, exactly, but really heavy

the chain harrow pulled up some mostly dead grass that has not yet decomposed. I wanted to avoid tilling also, though I have that as a backup with my neighbor's unit.
When I was done it looked very level but also full of more trash than I had hoped for. Heavy rain tonight, may change the way it looks anyway. My two larger tractors are between 2 and 3 tons apiece. The smaller ones are half that weight plus the small Massey has turf tires. I was concerned about compaction. Big tractors prepare the soil, little tractors take over. And I change as few implements as possible.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,832  
Sat at my computer and did some work on TBN's newsletter. Salad for lunch. Heading home when the to-do list for the day is finished. :laughing:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,833  
Sat at my computer and did some work on TBN's newsletter. Salad for lunch. Heading home when the to-do list for the day is finished. :laughing:
Is that the founder's pic? Wow, what a young pup!!! :laughing: ;-)
>
As always, I'm looking forward to reading the newsletter.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,834  
Ahh, not strictly tractor seat time eh. Ok, here goes.

I've spent so much time at my computer recently that my 6'+ 170lbs lard-bottom broke the frame of my computer chair. Spent a week on a hardpan kitchen type chair waiting on the new seat to arrive. Pure misery...

I didn't care if the new one had leather, fake leather, or fabric, just so long as the hinge was made differently and there was thick padding on the seat. I also prefer a high back chair I can rest my head when leaned back, but all the high back chairs were always too low. All my previous seats have had the same junky hinge assembly and padding that would fail in six months or less.

Started shopping and found all the chairs under $200, no matter where you buy them or what name is on them, they have the same junky base and hinge assemblies. The only real difference is the seat that is mounted on top of it.

One of my clients has a REALLY nice office chair, so one day I snuck a peek under it to see who made it. Searched 'em out on the web and all their chairs start at $1200 and go up to about $3000. Well out of my price range.

Continued my search, focusing on the hinge to find something different and ended up coming across what I think is the perfect computer chair, even if it is the most expensive chair I've ever bought. Comfort exceeds most recliners.

First thing I noticed, the hinge pivots at the front of the chair, rather than in the middle. This is great for two reasons; first is that when you lean back, the front edge of the chair doesn't raise up. That means it doesn't raise your feet off the floor and/or reduce circulation in your legs. Second, with the hinge at the front of the chair, the only real weight on the hinge is your legs and knees. Your bottom and the majority of your body weight is actually supported by the recline spring (sort of like many tractor seats).

Beyond that, the padding is thick and supportive. Think of a great grand touring car like a Mercedes or BMW. That is the sort of padding it has.

The base is a single piece of cast aluminum, polished to a shine. The armrests, which act as part of the framework to support the back are thick slabs of polished aluminum with thick padded bits for your elbows. You cannot dig your elbow in far enough to find a hard/uncomfortable position.

The back is TALL. It is a full 7" taller from the seat to the top of the headrest than my previous $179.99 Office Depot High-Back Executive Chair. My head can actually lay back on it comfortably when reclined.

What I ended up with also has real leather on all the touch points. The back and underside are covered with a fake leather. The real leather feels thick and of good grade, also much like a great grand touring car. To look at the fake leather, it doesn't appear any different than the real stuff as they did a great job of matching the grain and texture. You can feel the difference when you touch it side by side with the leather though.

As for what I don't like, isn't much. I can live with the few gripes. The chair is obviously made for someone bigger than me. I weigh 170lbs and with the recline spring at the lightest tension, it is more of a rocker than a recliner. I don't have enough top end weight to fully recline it. Other would be that my legs are the minimum length one would want, and I wear a 34" inseam on my pants. I have to keep it at the lowest setting to keep my feet on the floor. My final gripe is that it was made in China, but it seems you need to exceed the $1000 mark to find a US made seat.

If anyone else is looking for the same sort of chair for their computer-seat-time, I do highly recommend it.
Gates Genuine Leather Aluminum Base High Back Executive Chair | Zuri Furniture

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,835  
Sysop, great info, thanks. I have three worn out office chairs upstairs, should throw a few out, all with same problems you have. Bottoms flatten out, thin fake leather covering on arms peels off and all kinds of looseness comes into the mechanism. I used to treat myself with a 300 dollar chair and you're right, makes no difference, none of them lasted more than two or three years. That chair does look really comfortable.

I might actually get out today on the seat of my new to me Super A for the very first time. It went directly to the shop after I bought it, now coming back ready to go, and not dripping oil. Lot of very strange controls to learn. Onions go in next week so it's time to get going. While others plow snow...

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,836  
If you want some tractor seat time. Stop by my place. Always can find a tractor project to do. Still remember our visit in 2005. Hope all is well with you and your family.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,837  
Hopefully in a year I'm driving out to visit my sister near San Francisco. Going to make it a fun trip and stop and play tourist, was going to do this before in a motorhome and the new motorhome broke down. Now I'm going to try it again in a car. A nice reliable car...

But I hope to visit some TBN folks on the way. Going right through Texas...so it would be fun to have an updated map with push pins for members. There was one but I don't think it was kept up to date. Lot of folks I think don't know it exists, and I'm sure some just want their privacy, which I fully understand and respect.

So does seat time in a car visiting TBN'ers qualify?
Might be fun to stop and take pics of members using their tractors.

It's always hard to take pictures of yourself operating a tractor....I'm not figuring out how to run a drone either....;)

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,838  
Hopefully in a year I'm driving out to visit my sister near San Francisco. Going to make it a fun trip and stop and play tourist, was going to do this before in a motorhome and the new motorhome broke down. Now I'm going to try it again in a car. A nice reliable car...

But I hope to visit some TBN folks on the way. Going right through Texas...so it would be fun to have an updated map with push pins for members. There was one but I don't think it was kept up to date. Lot of folks I think don't know it exists, and I'm sure some just want their privacy, which I fully understand and respect.

So does seat time in a car visiting TBN'ers qualify?
Might be fun to stop and take pics of members using their tractors.

It's always hard to take pictures of yourself operating a tractor....I'm not figuring out how to run a drone either....;)

I can see where your headed. No visit to us Northern Guys on your trip. :shocked::confused3: Our seats are cooler in the summer.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,839  
I can see where your headed. No visit to us Northern Guys on your trip. :shocked::confused3: Our seats are cooler in the summer.

not to worry. Have a still surviving Uncle outside of Minneapolis, going to be a high road low road trip. Will depend upon time of year but most likely in Fall, so better do high road first.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #7,840  
If you want some tractor seat time. Stop by my place. Always can find a tractor project to do. Still remember our visit in 2005. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Oh man, 2005 that was a while ago---shortly before we left Arizona for San Diego. hard to believe that was 13 years ago. I enjoyed meeting the few TBN members who passed through. Not as many have visited in San Diego though.