Security & Theft Stolen Tracto

/ Stolen Tracto #1  

DERICK1679

Well, I just bought me a brand new New Holland 2320 45HP with a front end loader, box blade, three rear remotes, and ready to go to work. A week later she is gone. Stolen off my job site. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to make these things a little harder to drive off with. I have insurance, but this still hits me hard. Any help is appreciated.

/ Stolen Tracto #2  
Be patient there are a lot of good ideas floating around here about making the tractor harder to steal, not a problem so far for me, but the tractor is keep very close to home for me, well under the home.

/ Stolen Tracto #3  
#1 out of site out of mind
#2 Chained to a tree
#3 remove battery, Battery disconnect, fuel disconnect, etc.
#4 change to a different key (they are all the same - 10 bucks on ebay)
#5 hide behind the bushes with a 12 ga and a hungry barkless pit bull
#6 lojack - seriously
#7 park it so it can't be towed off with out moving a lot of stuff.

If it can't be towed, making it so it can't be started by locking out the fuel line or locking down injection pump etc.

My favorite is a tie between #1 and #5.

/ Stolen Tracto #4  
DERICK1679 said:
Well, I just bought me a brand new New Holland 2320 45HP with a front end loader, box blade, three rear remotes, and ready to go to work. A week later she is gone. Stolen off my job site. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to make these things a little harder to drive off with. I have insurance, but this still hits me hard. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to TBN Derick. Sorry to hear of the theft, I know how that makes you feel and replacement does not help that feeling. John mentioned in short most of the methods that men have used, but a determined thief can defeat most of them. The idea is simply to make it more difficult to find and get the tractor started. Hoping that they will give up and go someplace else. So anything that you can think of to conceal your tractor or to make it more difficult to start or tow will increase your odds of keeping it.

Mike

/ Stolen Tracto #5  
A friend of mine has a detachable steering wheel, Pull a pin out and the wheel comes off the spline. Still I guess you could winch the tractor onto a flatbed trailer without the steering wheel but it sure would make things more akward.

I agree with the above, "out of sight out of mind"... remove temptation by parking it indoors if possible. if you have to let it out make sure its in a well lit area near a house or someplace that it can be seen.

A neighbor of mine has a pretty remote farm, you have to drive down a long dusty/bumpy road for about 2 miles before you get to his farmyard. You would think his machinery is out of sight and mind... but he is constantly having problems with theft. He is currently building a large steel shed to store his equipment, his insurance company raised his premiums big time because he has had several valuable pieces of equipment stolen.
He is going the whole 9 yards with this set up, sodium floodlights, monitored wireless alarm, external motion sensors... He is even talking about a perimeter fence and putting in some angry dogs.

I always store my equip indoors behind a locked door but then I'm not a contractor. It seems there is a growing problem generally with site equip being stolen. I see more and more where the contractors have to erect a fenced/razorwired compound to park up their machines and have a security guy sit in a van all night every night to keep watch... sad to see this is the way things are going.

/ Stolen Tracto #6  
There is a GPS "lowjack" system available for equipment. You may want to look into that.:D Sorry to hear of your loss. :eek: :mad: You still have your health, and a new tractor is just a matter of settling out insurance claim, and getting a new one. ;)

/ Stolen Tracto #7  
Sorry about your loss. One contractor here in Central PA lost a brand new JD 310 4x4 that was parked at a lot he did snow removal from. Never heard if it was found.

As one poster mentioned, most are keyed alike. It's tough making them theft proof.

Last year, during the day, my neighbor hollered that someone just left our barn with 2 full cans of gas. Now I lock every door, every time I leave the building. Sad to think we've got to do this. I have suspicions on who was behind the theft, but can't prove it.

Good luck with your replacement machine.

/ Stolen Tracto #8  
Ask questions before buying into the Lojack idea. I checked it out and it only has decent coverage in 3 large cities here in Ohio. The best deterents I can come up with are:

Out of sight, out of mind
Use a disabler like a dummy main fuse
Disable fuel pump
Chain a bunch of implements to it
Use a motion sensitive trail camera on it
Lots of gun fire on the property at different hours giving the thought you are around and armed

/ Stolen Tracto #9  
Tie the key to 240 volts in the seat... oops, was that My "inside voice" coming out?

I worry about mine. May have to work on chaining it down. Welcome to TBN, Where do you live? Maybe give out the S/N and we can watch for it. There has been a couple threads on this in the past...

/ Stolen Tracto #10  
Lots of gun fire on the property at different hours giving the thought you are around and armed[/QUOTE]

Now thats one I use myself,, for the same reason. Makes 'em wonder "is he around,, and is he packing" !! :D