Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor with or without FEL

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor with or without FEL #1  

Barneyhunts

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 Kubota B7800, Kubota BX2200
Last year I plowed for the first time with my Kubota B7800 and I left the front end loader on while plowing. This year I'm planning to remove the FEL and hang 275# of weights on the front end in an effort to gain traction. Since I've never done this before I wonder if it will result in more traction for plowing and I'm asking for some input on this. My tractor has loaded AG-type tires and the plow is a 2 bottom 12" Howse.
Thanks!:rolleyes:

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor with or without FEL #2  
Sounds like your on the right track!

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor with or without FEL #3  
Put the 275# in the FEL bucket. Fill the rear tires with fluid add wheel weights.

jb

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor with or without FEL #4  
You'll probably just have to test it and see. But if the front weights aren't enough, just put the FEL back on.

It is really a pleasure to mow and or plow without the FEL on, you can see better. It is easier to get around in tight places, etc. Still, I've found that I like having the FEL on. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, there always seems to be something that I need to move out of the way with the FEL, so I just leave mine on all the time now. (Of course, I have no front wieghts. If I lucked into some cheap suitcase weights I might enjoy going without the FEL even more. As it is, even my 6 foot rotary cutter makes the front end light without the FEL.)

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor with or without FEL #5  
Barney.. does that machine have draft control?

soundguy

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor with or without FEL #6  
Dump the the three point hitch plow and get a drawbar pull type. It will make life much easier!:D :D :D

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor with or without FEL
Soundguy said:
Barney.. does that machine have draft control?

soundguy
Soundguy,
The B7800 does not have draft control, but, the plow has a gauge wheel to control depth. Last year I tried to plow without the gauge wheel and on several occasions tried to bury the plow. I later purchased a gauge wheel.:rolleyes:

N80 said:
You'll probably just have to test it and see. But if the front weights aren't enough, just put the FEL back on.

It is really a pleasure to mow and or plow without the FEL on, you can see better. It is easier to get around in tight places, etc. Still, I've found that I like having the FEL on. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, there always seems to be something that I need to move out of the way with the FEL, so I just leave mine on all the time now. (Of course, I have no front wieghts. If I lucked into some cheap suitcase weights I might enjoy going without the FEL even more. As it is, even my 6 foot rotary cutter makes the front end light without the FEL.)
N80,

It seems like I very rarely left a field without a load of rocks or something in the bucket. You're right, it's extremely handy!

Egon said:
Dump the the three point hitch plow and get a drawbar pull type. It will make life much easier!:D :D :D
Egon,
I don't have much experience with either, but as I think about it you may be right. But the drawbar plows I see around here are much too big for my machine, or, are of the horse drawn variety. I'm thinking about getting rear hydraulic remotes to make the machine "more drawbar attachment capable" but I'm not yet ready to give up on the three point implements.

john_bud said:
Put the 275# in the FEL bucket. Fill the rear tires with fluid add wheel weights.

jb
John,
When I load the bucket it wants to lift the rear of the machine, even with the loaded tires. This is why I thought removing the loader might be better for traction.