Any harm in using FEL to shake roots?

/ Any harm in using FEL to shake roots? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
Often after digging up a root ball/stump, there is a lot of dirt still attached to the woody bits. Rather than take the dirt to the burn pile/dump pile, I like to shake the FEL which does a pretty good job of knocking out loose dirt. By "shake" what I mean is small rapid movements of dump/curl cycle. These are enough that the tractor jiggles but the grapple wiggles just enough to loosen dirt and let if fall. I'd guess the grapple movement is an inch or two in each direction and about 10-15 cycles over 5 seconds.

I'm not concerned about mechanical damage as the forces on the grapple and FEL metal are quite small because of the small movements but I do wonder about the hydraulics. Does this type of rapid cycling cause problems? I started doing this after reading on TBN about how experienced excavator operators shake stumps after ripping them out of the ground. The technique works very well.

Is it harmful to either the hydraulic pumps or valves or rams?

/ Any harm in using FEL to shake roots? #2  
I don't think you will have any trouble doing that:D

/ Any harm in using FEL to shake roots? #3  
I usually just pick them up and drop the stump a few times. Its just as effective, but may take a little longer.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Any harm in using FEL to shake roots? #4  
I don't think it would be a problem for the hydraulics and would only cause a minor amount of additional wear to the mechanicals (hinges, etc...).

I have seen people beat the snot out of loaders and skid steers and they last remarkably well. Granted, it ultimately depends on how sturdy the equipment is made to start with.

/ Any harm in using FEL to shake roots? #5  
SKIDSTEERS........................the most abused machine on the PLANET!

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Any harm in using FEL to shake roots? #6  
IslandTractor said:
I started doing this after reading on TBN about how experienced excavator operators shake stumps after ripping them out of the ground. The technique works very well.

What's really neat is to watch the excavator toss the stump into the air like a cat with a mouse.

/ Any harm in using FEL to shake roots?
It sounds like no one has any concerns about damage to the FEL or tractor hydraulics. That is good news as it is certainly a good technique to get dirt out of the roots etc. I prefer shaking to picking up and dropping as I often have a full grapple of smaller bushes that would likely scatter and require more time to pick up again. In any case, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

/ Any harm in using FEL to shake roots? #8  
I do the same thing with the grapple on my bucket. No problems evidenced so far, and I'm glad to hear no one else has had any.

It also works when the dog misbehaves -- just grab him in the grapple and give him a good shake. :)