Finally got to use my new (used) tractor!

/ Finally got to use my new (used) tractor! #1  

North Dakota

Silver Member
Tractor
'84 Ford 1710
Bought my tractor a Ford 1710 Thanksgiving weekend to use on my 6.5 acre lot for working trees, garden, and eventually to landscape and plant my new yard. (have to build a home out there yet)

Here in North Dakota it is just getting to be warm enough to start thawing the soil. So finally after 4 months It was around 52 degrees I hooked up the old landscape rake and spent an hour leveling Pocket gopher hills (tons of them :( ) with it. Glorious fun :D . Now I can't wait to try out the new tiller I just got. Fun times ahead!!

:confused: By the way what is the best way to get rid of those **** pocket gophers and thier hills?

/ Finally got to use my new (used) tractor! #2  
The ground is just thawed enough in south dakota (aberdeen) to till, I used my new 5' king kutter today for the first time.

/ Finally got to use my new (used) tractor! #3  
I'm sorry but for some reason I can "see" the photos...:D As for "...gopher hills...", I'm reminded of Caddyshack. Got Explosives?

/ Finally got to use my new (used) tractor! #5  
Squeak n Itch said:
Lead poisoning (.22 cal)!

When I lived in PA a scoped .22/250 worked real well as well. I just saw my first awake groundhog yesterday, but we still have alot of snow on the ground. Jay

/ Finally got to use my new (used) tractor!
teg said:
I'm sorry but for some reason I can "see" the photos...:D As for "...gopher hills...", I'm reminded of Caddyshack. Got Explosives?

I'll have to start hauling around a digital camera so I can have some photo's to post. I'll get some photos of my stuff and post them some day. Photos are always fun.

As for the pocket gophers (I think it's the right term) they generally are not seen above ground like moles only bigger in size and much bigger mounds. Any help would be useful. Right now those **** pest's are singing "I'm all right don't have to worry about me..." :D

I think the ground up here is also ready for tilling. The areas I want tilled is in hay right now. I'm going to let the plants start to grow, then round-up the area, then fallow the area for the summer before planting more trees and a garden next summer.

/ Finally got to use my new (used) tractor! #8  
"...pumps propane and oxygen into a rodent hole and then ignites the mixture.." OK, I WANT ONE!!! :D

/ Finally got to use my new (used) tractor! #9  
As a kid, and now as an adult, I have used gopher traps that poke into the sides of the gopher when he trips it. You need to open up the hole enough to recess the trap, and then cover all but a small opening (the light or the draft attract them to fix there domain). Don't forget to attach a stick and a piece of wire to the trap so that they don't drag it back into there hole.

Very effective.

I'd rethink pesticides and plant some sort of 'green manure' (or cover crop). Rye, soy bean, buckwheat, alfalfa (for example) all are nitrogen fixing (add nitrogen to the soil) and generally don't need water. They can be tilled back in to the soil when premature or as you want to work the area. I am sure there are others. Do a search, including at organicgardening.com. Cover Crop Basics. Cheaper, and you will not kill the critters in the weeds that you will want next year.