Tipped over Kubota BX24

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #1  

96superjet

Tractor
Kubota BX24
The back end of my BX24 got away from me and ended up tipping the tractor over onto it's side.:eek: First the ROP did what it was supposed to do and no one was injured.:D It took approximated an hour before I was able to use my garage floor jack, tow strap and my truck to get the old girl back upright.

I have not yet attempted to start the tractor because I don't know what type of pre-maintenance I should be doing to the engine first. Could have oil entered the engine, air filter or other areas that it shouldn't have? Other than basic structural inspection, what type of engine maintance should I perform before attempting to start the engine?

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #2  
Wow - sorry to hear you flipped it, but glad to hear the ROPS did its job.

As long as you have had the tractor sitting upright for a while now, I would check the oil level, and pull the air filter to see if any oil is in that. Also check that your fuel filter has fuel in it.

Then try to fire it up. You may get some sputtering and smoke out the exaust if some oil got above the pistons, but it should clear up.

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #3  
Sorry to hear that you had a mishap, but am glad that no one was hurt. If you have a compression release then pull that and spin it--that will allow anything that may have gotten on top of the piston to blow out the exhaust. After a few rounds then drop the release and she should take right off if there is no air in the system. If it shut down of its own accord then you may have to bleed the injector system--like a "normal" out of fuel situation.

Mike

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #4  
If you shut it down real quick when it tipped over,I think you'll be alright after having it upright for a while.Check the oil and crank it a few times with it in gear so a safety switch will prevent it from firing up and listen to it when its cranking,you should be able to hear it if it sounds different.

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #6  
Pull the nozzles/injectors out of the cylinder head and then crank it with the starter.

If there is anything on top of the pistons, this will blow it out.

Otherwise you can easily bend a rod and your next post will be why there is white smoke coming out the pipe!

Any time a tractor is rolled or laid over, the ROPS is suppposed to be changed. Your dealer can assess how much damage it has - if any.

Good luck!

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #7  
If your engine oil levels has not dropped from prior to the mishap your likely fine. Nothing else should get on top of the pistom to hydro lock the engine.
Turning it by hand a couple full turns at first would be safer though.
I have been in this situation with a number of 180 to 250 hp diesels and have never done any more then checked the oil, cut the fuel and turned them by hand and then with the starter. Then turned on the fuel and fired them up. They smoke for awhile until any oil is burnt out of the exhaust. Don't ask me how I know this.
Ken

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #8  
As all the tips above but be carefull of a run away engine event . As the engine is an "oil" burner any oil in the intake tract or in the cylinders can make the engine run out of control and throw a rod . If possible start the engine in a high gear with the clutch depressed , if the engine starts to rev on it's own you can slip the clutch and stall it as the engine stop wont work in this situation .

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #9  
Instead of pulling the injectors sometimes it's easier to pull the glow plugs.

Don't ask how I know:eek:

/ Tipped over Kubota BX24 #10  
Crank by hand to prevent hydrolock first then: allow it to sit upright, just as you would after a fall to allow everything to settle a bit (fluids) The bx24 has a fuel pump. Just let it sit w/the key on and allow the pump to run for 30 seconds before starting. NO NEED TO BLEED! Isn't that nice? Check fluids for cross contamination and air filter for cleanliness, crank, then sputter, smoke a bit, the tractor not you, and go back to work. Now you have a tractor that looks as though it has "mileage" on it but runs like new. Then, if you aren't sure of what you are doing, you COULD take it back to your dealer and let them do all of this. For instance, he knows it has a fuel pump and doesn't need bled. the dealer also knows it has an hydrostatic transmission and no clutch meaning you cannot stop a runaway using the transmission, unlike advice you might get Online from well meaning and misinformed people. Additionally, should the engine "runaway" when it is started and throw a rod HE gets to buy you a new one, not you. It is no small investment and deserves good service. Glad you survived unhurt. The aches and pains come the next day!

Last edited: