Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO?

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #1  

Robert6401

Bronze Member
Hi all,

I am researching tractors and I just want to get as many opinions as I can on the advantages and disadvantages of having either a live (2-stage clutch) PTO or a Transmission Driven (with over-running clutch) PTO. Seems to me like live is much better, but Im sure there are some circumstances I am not considering.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #2  
I like Ford 8N's a lot but live PTO trumps overrunning clutch EVERY time.

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #3  
Robert6401 said:
Hi all,

I am researching tractors and I just want to get as many opinions as I can on the advantages and disadvantages of having either a live (2-stage clutch) PTO or a Transmission Driven (with over-running clutch) PTO. Seems to me like live is much better, but Im sure there are some circumstances I am not considering.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
There are NO advantages to a transmission driven PTO. The only reason for a modern tractor to have a transmission driven PTO is to cut costs. With the two stage clutch you have control over the PTO that you need in many cases. Two examples of this control is: 1) If your snowblower is plugging up, you can stop the movement of the tractor and still power the PTO. 2) If you hit a thick patch of grass when mowing or thick brush, you can slow or stop the movement of the tractor and allow the tractor to process the material. You can't do these things with a straight PTO without taking the transmission out of gear and putting it in neutral. Even better than a two stage clutch is independent PTO but it is usually more expensive than the others also.
BTW, welcome to TBN.

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #4  
JerryG is right, there are no operational advantages to a transmission driven PTO.

I wouldn't let that dissuade you from buying an older tractor though. Most tractors that were built before the 1960's didn't have live PTO's and people got along just fine. It's especially not an issue if you don't plan on running a lot of equipment with large amounts of rotational inertia.

Get an overrunning clutch and be careful and you'll be fine. Even if it isn't as convenient as something more modern...

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO?
I wouldn't say I plan on running a lot of equipment at all, probably just rotary cutter. I guess I am just surprised because I am in the market for a compact tractor and the kubota dealer I have been talking to was trying to convince me that the ORC PTO on the L2800 was a good thing, even to the point that when I told him I am planning to go with the more expensive L3400 to get the live PTO he gave me the impression he was disappointed! Other than that I have really enjoyed dealing with this guy, but it does make me a little concerned.

Bob

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #6  
Robert6401 said:
I wouldn't say I plan on running a lot of equipment at all, probably just rotary cutter. I guess I am just surprised because I am in the market for a compact tractor and the kubota dealer I have been talking to was trying to convince me that the ORC PTO on the L2800 was a good thing, even to the point that when I told him I am planning to go with the more expensive L3400 to get the live PTO he gave me the impression he was disappointed! Other than that I have really enjoyed dealing with this guy, but it does make me a little concerned.

Bob

Even just running ( and perhaps especially running a rotary cutter which will at times get over loaded and nead to clear out) a live PTO will ***** a transmission driven PTO.

Andy

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #7  
The other guys hit all the high points. Live / 2 stage trumps tranny pto every time.. and for most cases.. independent pto trumps 2- stage pto.

soundguy

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #8  
Independent PTOs are SAFER to OPERATE

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #9  
My 1st tractor, a Deere 670, had a tranny driven PTO. This was also a non-sychro transmission.
Rotary cutting was no problem. Those heavy blades spin quite a while even when the PTO is shut down. The few seconds it takes to shift gears...well, no problem. I, personally, have never experienced the cutter "pushing" the tractor, but I have read quite a few post about this, so an over-running clutch would be advisable.
Mowing (with a finishing mower) does require a bit of back and forth since those blades may slow considerably when clutching (once you learn to clutch, even a non-sychro tranny shifts pretty quickly)
Operating a tiller would be a hassle, I should think, same may apply with a snow blower.
The biggest advantage of the tranny driven PTO is the simplicity of the drive train. As long as you don't ride the clutch, they're quite robust.

So, would I prefer a live or independent PTO...yeah, but I wouldn't pass on a good deal on a tractor with a non-live PTO (if I was in the market for a tractor).

/ Advantages/Disadvantages of Live and Tranny Driven PTO? #10  
PaulChristenson said:
Independent PTOs are SAFER to OPERATE

I don't know how one could support that statement... I'd think that in all actuality, a transmission-driven PTO with an Overrunning clutch or even a Live PTO may be a bit safer to operate (if you can even quantify that) than an Independent PTO in the event of a breakdown or whatnot... since when you step on the clutch, EVERYTHING stops. Independent PTO must be disengaged with the lever, which isn't quite as "automatic" as stepping on the clutch when the machine behind you starts trying to beat itself or whatever got underneath it to death.