How much $$ to plow and disk

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #1  

Pooh_Bear

Platinum Member
Tractor
Early 1949 Ford 8N
I was out in the yard today and a guy stopped by and told me he had seen my bottom plow sitting there and was I interesting in selling it. I told him I couldn't sell it since I use it sometimes but since he is a neighbor (close by) he was welcome to borrow it if he wanted. He declined borrowing it, said he hated to borrow stuff. We talked for a bit. He said he had contacted someone about plowing his garden spot for him but the guy didn't get back to him yet. I asked him what was it worth to him to get it plowed and neither one of us knows the going rate. But if he didn't hear from the other guy he would call me.
This won't be a very big garden spot. Probably not much bigger than mine.
And it is completely flat with no obstructions. It got cut for hay last year.

I'd almost be willing to do it for gas money and any broken shear pins.
Maybe find something I need done and trade him for the work.
What would the going rate be for say, 50x100 feet, no rocks, trees, etc.
The guy lives 5 houses down the road from me. So I just hook up the plow
and drive it to his house and back when I finish. Real easy job to do.

So if he comes back and asks, what should I tell him.

Pooh Bear

1949 8N, turning (bottom) plow, 5 foot disk harrow.

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #2  
5 houses down it's worth it to do it for nothing just to get to meet another neighbor.

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #3  
Tell him just cover the gas money.Good neighbors who like tractors are hard to find.LOL.coobie

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #4  
I.m with Onthesauk.
If he lives that close it doesn't hurt to do a favor. At least you'll see what your neighbors made of. If he offers you something don't take it. He's proven to be a good neighbor. If he offers you nothing move on and chock it up to experience. It's not like a whole daqys work for a plot that big...Just my opinion....

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #5  
Onthesauk said:
5 houses down it's worth it to do it for nothing just to get to meet another neighbor.

I agree with Onthesauk. It's a great way to build up neighborhood relations. You never know when you will need their help!

/ How much $$ to plow and disk
Sounds like a winner with me.
Gas money only and a shear pin (if it breaks).

I've done a lot of jobs like that and the payback
is always a lot more than I could have charged.
Goodwill is something money can't buy.

Pooh Bear

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #7  
Pooh_Bear said:
Sounds like a winner with me.
Gas money only and a shear pin (if it breaks).

I've done a lot of jobs like that and the payback
is always a lot more than I could have charged.
Goodwill is something money can't buy.

Pooh Bear

Pooh, a little bit of PR goes a long way and it's good for the soul. You never know maybe he returns your favor down the road and then some.

JC:)

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #8  
I agree.. that close.. that's a lunch and gas money kind of thing.. great way to mee extended neighbors.

soundguy

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #9  
I'll jump in and agree too. I am often asked by neighbors to use my grapple to move piles of brush or clear out a little area of brush etc. It takes me 10 minutes to do something while I sit on my tractor that would be messy and take them the better part of an afternoon to do by hand. I've earned lots of free beer and pleasant conversation as well as good will by just doing these sorts of things. We now have a neighborhood understanding that piles of brush may just disappear when I get the chance. No words spoken at all. Got a few buckets of clams, blueberries and other simply unrequested non monetary favors/payback in return. "Good fences make good neighbors" up here in New England but neighborly deeds have rewards too.

/ How much $$ to plow and disk #10  
Ask what he is planting. Might get some good veggies out of the deal!:D