Best fence options

/ Best fence options
The dog's caretaker's will be in tow, so the pups shouldn't have enough time or incentive to escape.

jmf

/ Best fence options #42  
I was told that if you lay down 2' wire under the ground at the fence line, the dogs will never dig their way out. They don't think to try and dig down back from the fence, only at the fence.

Just something else to think about.

/ Best fence options #43  
Unfortunately it ain't true...

I used to keep my dogs in a large fenced in kennel.. I had wire burried down around the edge. I had 3 dogs.. a golden lab, a lab-chow-husky mix, and a cur, all dig out by backink up 3 feet and digging a darn trench to get out.... took em all day.. but they got out. When you got nothing to do and no supervision while 'master' is at work.. 12 paws can get busy... Of course, the husky now just climbs the darn fence.. she makes it look easy...

soundguy

/ Best fence options #44  
I never found a fence that could keep my Treeing Walker coonhound in. Only a kennel with a tight fitting top and a concrete floor would keep him from going hunting at night.

/ Best fence options #45  
Soundguy said:
Unfortunately it ain't true...

I used to keep my dogs in a large fenced in kennel.. I had wire burried down around the edge. I had 3 dogs.. a golden lab, a lab-chow-husky mix, and a cur, all dig out by backink up 3 feet and digging a darn trench to get out.... took em all day.. but they got out. When you got nothing to do and no supervision while 'master' is at work.. 12 paws can get busy... Of course, the husky now just climbs the darn fence.. she makes it look easy...

soundguy

Thanks for that info, that guy swore that it worked, and it probably does if you have stupid dogs. I know now know not to do that when we get dogs again in the future.

/ Best fence options
Maybe the subject dog was wearing one of those invisible fence collars.

jmf

/ Best fence options #47  
yeah.. now that may work.. have an invisible fence inset about 3' from a perimeter fence.. that way the animal can't get near close enough to tunnel out.

soundguy

/ Best fence options #48  
MtnViewRanch said:
Thanks for that info, that guy swore that it worked, and it probably does if you have stupid dogs. I know now know not to do that when we get dogs again in the future.

I did this with my 18X18 kennel, I buried 5' horse panel 2-3" deep with 2.5' on either side of the Kennel so nobody can dig in or out.
It has worked for Brittanys and my Jack Russell.

I think Soundguy let his dogs watch the great escape too many times:)

/ Best fence options #49  
I used to have a Beagle mix that was always getting loose. I tried a pen made of old panel pieces when he was a pup -- chewed a hole in it. Tried an electric fence wire about 11" above the ground and another a little over that and so on 'til he couldn't jump it. He would sneak up on it 'til his nose told him when it was on and off, then rock with the pulse of it. All of a sudden he'd bolt, usually just catching the tip of his tail as he got through it and let out a loud "yipe!". The worst part was having him and the Gordon Setter on tie chains. More often than you would believe, I'd find the Gordon with two chains hooked together and the Beagle gone. I watched him once. He would drag his chain back and forth, back and forth until the latch caught the other chain just right, and away he went. (We couldn't justify investing in any decent amount of woven fence, so kept trying other things.)

I always knew where to find him, though. There were some squatters living in a camper about a mile down the road and back a 1/2 mile lane who had a big Shepard mix female. The Beagle was a very sociable guy, and would always go to visit his girlfriend. I would ride down there on the dirt bike, find him, load him on the tank with his front feet on the handlebar, and ride back home -- slow. He would always get punished for his transgressions, but it never cured him. I don't know which he liked better, his girlfriend or the motorcycle ride!

/ Best fence options #50  
Yep.. some animals just won't be contained..

soundguy