Tires Loaded tires - Southern style(water only)

/ Loaded tires - Southern style(water only) #1  

maut9r

Bought a used 790 from a local dealer that had happened to pick it up in South Carolina. Well to make a long story short, the tires are loaded with water only. So I have a few months to figure out what to do unless this winter decides to hit us again. Has anyone had to switch the fluid to one that doesn't freeze? I really don't want to take the tires off the rims to empty completely. Would the water dilute washer fluid too much?

/ Loaded tires - Southern style(water only) #2  
maut9r said:
Bought a used 790 from a local dealer that had happened to pick it up in South Carolina. Well to make a long story short, the tires are loaded with water only. So I have a few months to figure out what to do unless this winter decides to hit us again. Has anyone had to switch the fluid to one that doesn't freeze? I really don't want to take the tires off the rims to empty completely. Would the water dilute washer fluid too much?

You don't have to dismount the tires in any event. Pump half the water out. Mix a solution approx. twice the strength you want to end up with and pump that back in. The "mixing" will happen the first time you use the tractor.

WWF is predominantly water already. If you don't think you can get a strong enough solution with 1/2 & 1/2, pump out more of the water, but some water won't hurt a bit. I've got one tractor with 16.9X30's that hold 74 gallons, with 24 gallons tap water, 50 gallons WWF in them and they haven't frozen solid in 10 years worth of winters. We get sub-zero temps on occasion. You're trying to prevent freezing solid. "Slushing" won't hurt.

/ Loaded tires - Southern style(water only) #3  
maut9r said:
I use water and drain it in the winter. You can get most of the water out with valve at bottom. However, I think too much is left and would freeze the washer fluid. The rest of the water is fairly easily removable if you have a compressor and a jack. Take weight off the tire. Find a tube that will just fit into your valve and slip it in until it hits the bottom of the tire. Seal at the valve as best you can. Blow air in and then let water come out. It doesnt take much pressure so the seal doesnt have to be too good. Pretty quick once you get the hang of it.
larry

/ Loaded tires - Southern style(water only) #4  
You could also drain some and use environmentally friendly anti-freeze, animal safe type. It would let you drain less and get a better freeze point for you cold winters.

MarkV