What a nice gift!

/ What a nice gift! #1  

MJPetersen

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM 1510-D
One of the men in our church is cleaning out his yard and no longer needs a couple of cargo containers. These are not full size but rather small approximately 8 feet cubed.

They are OLD for containers. They were made and used in the GDR (East Germany) until they were brought to Poland in 1979. My friend was using the containers for at least 20 years while he was building a yacht so that he could escape to the West. Before he finished the iron curtain came down.
They are in excellent shape because they are made of aluminum and weigh 500 kg empty. Here in Poland even for scrap they would bring about $1200 apiece.

So now how to get them home. I will use the trailer that I modified for this purpose, my tractor, and hitch that I made.

I used the 3pt to lift the end and blocked it to start the trailer uner the box. I then pulled the box onto the trailer with a come-along--switching from side to side (I only have one come-along). So in this fashion I inched the box ont the trailer.

mike

/ What a nice gift!
I thought that I could tip the box forward by pulling the top of the box down and the hitch up. BUT . . . This was not according to plan. Guess I had better lower it back down and pull the box further onto the trailer first. (But you know that all my welds held even though I maxed out badly the come-along.

I finally succeeded in getting the box fully on the trailer and towed it home--only about 2/3 mile.

Now to unload the box and position it. Because of the way that I had to load it the door is on the wrong end. Hmm!

Mike

/ What a nice gift!
I fastened the box to a stump and dragged it off the trailer--had to get my wife to pull the tractor which was pulling the trailer, but I made it. Then with pushing and pulling with the tractor and the come-along I got the box positioned correctly. I spent some time cleaning it out. I am very happy with my new storage. Now to get the other one. But not right now.

I think that it was a GREAT present! I really appreciate the new storage. I will move my wood working stuff into this and the lawn maintenance. The basement and the entry room get a relief. :D

Mike

/ What a nice gift! #4  
Every bloke has to have a shed (or two):D. I have a double garage full of valuable "junk" at my city house and another for the tractor on the farm.

Cityfarma

/ What a nice gift! #5  
Free and aluminum!! Sweet. A deal like that would almost make you want to pile a bunch of stuff up on your car...

/ What a nice gift! #6  
How far did you have to move these?

May the Lord bless your ministry.

/ What a nice gift! #7  
MJ,

Be very careful if using electrical tools or if you are going to wire these sheds. Alum is a very good conductor for blue devils.

/ What a nice gift!
I had to move them about a kilometer (2/3 mile), so not so very far. It was all on back road and at a quieter time. The problem was that I could not see around the thing to look back. Only one car came up on me and passed me and that was when I was going VERY slowly on a VERY rough part of the dirt road.

I probably will bring in power, but something in the order of 380v/50 hz 3 phase. :eek: That is the standard line into a house here--220 x 3. The planer that you see in the pic has a 3 phase motor. Many tools with stationary motors, welders, and even our kitchen range is 3 ph.

The "things on the parts car are greenhouse framing that I need to build for my wife ASAP! :D The car is going to scrap this summer.

Mike

/ What a nice gift! #9  
When you ground your shed, presuming you use copper ground wire (knowing little about Polish requirements) be sure to use an appropriate grease. There was a period in the US when aluminum wiring for general household use was common. It is still common in high current circuits (stoves, main drops, etc) as aluminum wire is much cheaper. They sell a special grease for the joints to minimize oxidation and presumably galvanic action (dissimilar metals based electricity creation). Not a big deal, and easy (here) to get. Just a thought.

I'd love to have one of those to put my compressor and welding gases in!

/ What a nice gift! #10  
MJPetersen said:
The "things on the parts car are greenhouse framing that I need to build for my wife ASAP! :D The car is going to scrap this summer.
Mike

Hopefully you know I was joking with you and you got a good laugh...:D