Default Flats, tubes, water & sealers?

My old International had big tubeless tires filled with water. When I got an occasional flat, I just plugged it and refilled it and was on my merry way - no problem.

I have a new Cub Cadet which was shipped with water filled TUBED tires!! Why inner tubes?? I found one theory - they can use cheaper 3-ply tires with tubes rather than 6-ply they mount tubeless. Now when I get a flat, rather than a 5 minute $1 repair with a plug, it's a three day, $60 service call from the tire shop to pull the wheel and patch the tube!

Someone told me I could just have the tires mounted tubeless even if they're not rated that way. Is this true? Also, most of our flats are from mesquite thorns, which a sealer would prevent. But as far as I know you can't use the sealers with water filled tires. Is this true? Or are there sealers that are water compatible? Without water in the tires, I fear the rear-end of my tractor will be so light I'd bounce all over the place.

At more than $2000.00, I can't afford foam-filling the tires. What's the solution??

Thanks, Bubba

Default Re: Flats, tubes, water & sealers?

I'd like to know too! Can 3 ply tires be mounted tubless? Or is there a tire sealer you can use with water? I wonder why no replies to these questions?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Long/Landtrac360DTC

A lot of tractors use tubes to protect the rims from whatever you load the tire with.

How would a tube protect rims? As soon as you get a puncture, the fluid runs out the tube and around to the valve stem. There it sits till you pull the wheel and patch the tube.

I checked and "Green Slime" is a tire sealer, but it can't be used with water. Same with the stuff Tractor Supply sells. There has to be a better way!

Liquid volumes and weights for water for various trye sizes <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorsmart.com/Farm_Tractor_Liquid_Tire_Ballast.htm>http://www.tractorsmart.com/Farm_Tractor_Liquid_Tire_Ballast.htm</A>

Might be usfull, at least for the liquid volumes required for your tyres.

I tried using Gempler's sealer with water in my tubed tires. Doesn't work, I still get flats.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

The tube protects the rim for the period of time that there is no leak.. say for instance your tires are filled.. and you use the tractor for 5 years with no leaks... the rims will still be uncoroded. Rims with CC and no tube would show some corrosion, etc.

Soundguy