Ballast Front Weights

/ Front Weights #1  

RoyJackson

Rest in Peace
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
I pulled my FEL off for a while...and since the tractor is more stable when I'm mowing, I'll likely leave it off for a bit.

Now, I do not have front weights. I don't particularly want to pay $32 per for JD suitcase weights either (or $30 for the adapter bracket).

I've got some rectangular weights from an exercise machine, so I can rig up a box of some sort.

<font color=red>However..question is, how much weight should go at the front of the machine. </font color=red>

I'm using a Befco 60" finishing mower which weighs 375#. That's probably the only implement I'd use without needing the FEL installed as well..

So, what's the front weight rule of thumb?

/ Front Weights #2  
Roy, my JD650 (the one I just sold) had the adapter bracket and it would accept 5 forty lb. suitcase weights. Lets see /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif , thats 200 lbs!! /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

Was more than enough when I used my 3pt dirt scoop.

Jerry

/ Front Weights #4  
Roy,
I used the same weights total 151 lbs

Attachments

• 47-132385-weights1.jpg
    47-132385-weights1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 157
   / Front Weights #7  
Roy, it appears that the "other Jerry" has stole my thunder. My weights cost $39 dollars each. That's over $200 with tax. If you're handy, I recommend the cheaper route of the home-made rig. Weights from the sportings goods store only cost forty cents per pound. Not a buck-a-pound like I paid. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Now, my whole evening is in the crapper thanks to that "other Jerry". /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Jerry

/ Front Weights #8  
Sorry Jerry........./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I used some my brother had in the garage.......with the steel that was left by the previous owner of the house, I think I have $10 or so in mine

/ Front Weights #9  
Just add weights (if needed at all) until you feel comfortable with the steering of the tractor. On the flat, if you start out quickly (forward) and the front end comes up, then add weights. I wouldn't think you would need weights with your load on the 3pt.

/ Front Weights
Just add weights (if needed at all) until you feel comfortable with the steering of the tractor. On the flat, if you start out quickly (forward) and the front end comes up, then add weights. I wouldn't think you would need weights with your load on the 3pt.

So far, there seems to be no problem starting off(although in high gears and quickly releasing the clutch, the machine really leaps forward!).
I guess I'm mostly concerned about going up hills. There is one area of the property that I have to back down and come up, mowing both directions (there is no room to turn around at the bottom). It's not a long stretch, but it is approx. 25° or so. Backing down is no problem...but starting up does concern me a bit.
I'll grant ya, I've very little tolerance for slopes of any sort (or fast left turns when I had the Porsche....going to the right, no problem!), but that's due to a balance problem I've had for years. Might just be a little overly concerned....the tractor was stable as all get out, I wasn't!

If you're handy, I recommend the cheaper route of the home-made rig.

Yepper, I'll definitely rig something up before I pay thirty bucks plus for cast iron. Y'know, the York Barbell manufacturing facility is about 15 miles (24.37 Km for our Canadian friends) north of here. No problem finding the weights...just have to fabricate the bracket.

I'd like to thank all respondants for their advice!!